Long Travel Pro-action Install

Muckstuffer

I've had a long travel pro-action skid in my 98' SRX for a couple of seasons and I'm reasonably pleased with it's performance. On the other hand, every time I take it out to do maintenance, it's an afternoon of swearing and bloodshed to re-install the thing. Is there an easier way? I've searched this forum and the tech pages but haven't come up with anything. Any help would be great.

You can use a "Crazy Carpet" ( cheap thin flexible plastic kiddies toboggan) between the skid and the track.Work it in front the front and slide it alon to the rear of the skid. This will help slide the skid into place. Then install the front bolts. Install the rear bolts and with the transfer rods backed off the middle bolts go in easy.

^X2^ another option is what I used to use. 3/4-1" pvc pipe. Cut into 3-4ft lentghs. Place 3 or 4 of them sideways between skid/track. When you lower skid it will sit on the pipe and not get hung up on the track. Slide skid out the side. Plastic on plastic slides real nice.

The odd thing i found now that ive taken out and put in a few of the older proaction skids is that they suck. I have taken out and put back my viper skids a hundred times and its a piece of cake. These older sx's and xtc ect.. have both fought me tooth and nail. Not sure what it is but my buddy john said tip it on its side and i said no need they should slide right in and line up. Well after many fits i did just that and put them on their side and they slid right in and lined up. Not sure why the difference but thats what ill do for now on with the older ones. just my experience and 2cents.

Clarification

I appreciate the input on getting the skid in the track, but my big issue is with getting it bolted up. My transfer rods are not adjustable. If I unbolt them, will that make it easier to line up the bolt holes? It seems like once I have the front bolted up, the other two sets are a real bear.

Back