very hard cold start

kristina

its my dads polaris and i told him i would ask to see if maybe you guys know sorry for a polaris question on a yamaha site... it takes about 10 pulls to start when its cold and it wont stay running till it warms up. once warm it runs great. carbs were just cleaned plugs just changed any ideas?

when finished riding for the day,don't use kill switch or key to shut it down.Use the choke to kill it.This wash's away some of the oil off the cylinder walls.Makes it easier to pull and start in the cold.I found it helps alot.Or put sled in heated shop.

Problems with cold starts....

;)! Well Kristina your question is common out there,first off clean doesn't always mean good to go! When the carbs. are removed from the engine most people do not take any measures to notice choke cable hieghts,throttle cable adjustments,oil pump adj. All these play a BIG part in starting and a proper running engine! Sounds like the CHOKE adjustments are off.Not hard to cure just need to find the right spot for that Polaris engine and she'll start with 4 pulls max.!I had a '91 trail 488 and had it set up sweet,-40 outside 5 pulls or crank the electric start and she'd come to life,always!Set everything up proper and it'll work 100%.

do you know the proper settings by chance? i just put them all back the way they come off. or do i just start tweaking them and see whats best?

what sled polaris hard starts when cold .......most common cause are crank seals that would also be your cold blooded problem ......cleaing carbs do it a gain blow everything out and put new needles and seats in it ........they need to be perfect also put all new fuel lines and pulse line on the machine .......if it is the 92 440 you have listed in your avatar

Yamaha Nutz said:
what sled polaris hard starts when cold .......most common cause are crank seals that would also be your cold blooded problem ......cleaing carbs do it a gain blow everything out and put new needles and seats in it ........they need to be perfect also put all new fuel lines and pulse line on the machine .......if it is the 92 440 you have listed in your avatar

i didnt think to check the crank seals i should lol my fuel pump seems to be pumping really good i bet i do got a bad seal. this is why i ride yamaha the polaris is my dads lol

Back