Picked up a new project SRX

IgoFast

Some people should not be allowed to have snowmobiles.
I picked this thing up from a buddy of mine he bought it intending to fix up but got over his head so I bought it cheap.
The story he got was that it was bought new in 00 used for 2 years then the guy went to jail... Since then it has sat out side uncovered and not used.
Motor filled with water and was junk, Pipes got water in them and either rusted threw or froze and broke. Mice ate the air box and peed in the carbs so they are junk.
I am going to use this as a project sled and fix it up good as new.
I have already put a new lower mile motor, pipes and carbs in it, cleaned the gas tank and pressure washed it. Checked and greased the skid and suspension. Still got to get a seat and do something about the faded plastic.. but I have all summer to do that.
ab78ce55-7eef-49d3-b17a-ec34674eff5e_zps5eb48bf7.jpg

4b16efe7-3bf9-46cf-a208-40c590555bed_zpsbd6f3e8a.jpg

45328118-1843-418e-af32-ae7a48604b16_zps15cf450b.jpg

I was sooooooo close to parting it out. Found a motor cheap that was complete with carbs and electrical tho and figured it would be worth a shot to try and run it for a few seasons

Long travel that puppy and then you have the best of both worlds. Fast as hell and nice ride

did he go tho jail for neglecting a great sled??? JK.

good luck on your build, keep us posted

Had it out this weekend and put about 200 miles on it.
This thing is FAST, fastest thing I have ridden in a while
Ran good for the first 100 miles then it started having issues.
Oil light was flickering, tail light worked occasionally, brake light didn't work
It would miss and cut out the tach would stop working and get all jumpy, head light would get dim and it would surge really bad at 6k rpm. Only place it would run good was when it was wide open. Other times it would run just fine. Sure sounds like I have have a harness rub threw issue, what do you guys think?

Thats cool that you didnt part it out, there are way too many guys out there parting these great sleds out. As the years go by you'll be seeing less and less of them out there on the trails.

IgoFast said:
Had it out this weekend and put about 200 miles on it.
This thing is FAST, fastest thing I have ridden in a while
Ran good for the first 100 miles then it started having issues.
Oil light was flickering, tail light worked occasionally, brake light didn't work
It would miss and cut out the tach would stop working and get all jumpy, head light would get dim and it would surge really bad at 6k rpm. Only place it would run good was when it was wide open. Other times it would run just fine. Sure sounds like I have have a harness rub threw issue, what do you guys think?

wire harness rub thru, check the wires going to the tailight by gastank seen those rubbed thru alot, and the harness under the engine is a sure bet, if its not rubbed thru yet, it will be in short order. look up rub threw harness theres tons of post on how to repiar and put it in tubing to protect it.

shaggyzr2 said:
Thats cool that you didnt part it out, there are way too many guys out there parting these great sleds out. As the years go by you'll be seeing less and less of them out there on the trails.

Beleive it or not this year I seen more SRX's out on the trails than ever before!

Back