1989 Exciter 583 Issues

Thirteen

It ran fine earlier in the year, then two storms ago after siting three weeks it started right up but only power for a very short time. Compression is both cylinders is high and exactly the same. I pulled it apart and found the air pressure hose from engine to fuel pump was cracked and had holes all through it. I replaced the fuel pump as well because I had a better one (I have two complete sleds but one has a trashed tunnel). Then the frustration of hooking up the fuel lines wrong. Once I discovered that I pulled the cord enough to get fuel to run through lines to carbs and into a dish (and I could see oil it in it so it was mixing). I hooked it up again and the same issue. It always starts up first or second pull. But it seems like it is either using up all the fuel in the carbs and then there is none, or the carbs are just messed up. But they are the better set of carbs and when I take the out they appear to be completely clean with all ports clear.
If I wait a while I can go out and start it up and get enough power to drive it back into the garage.
I have changed the plugs twice already. Neither time did they appear fowled. But, maybe I keep fowling plugs and need to do that again. I am not really sure.
The only thing I can think of next is to swap to my other carbs, but this is baffling me.
I changed all the fuel lines this past time because they were all dry and hard. But, as I said, I was able to pull it and get gas to push through both carb lines no problem.
Any suggestions of what I am missing?
I am medium skill level. I don't know everything, but if I tinker long enough I can usually figure things out.

Check and double check that your fuel pump and all fuel lines are hooked up correctly. Double check the pickup in the tank, and also make sure that you do not have any ice in the tank or lines if the sled sits outside.

From what you have wrote, I would put the original fuel pump back on.
If you have a brand new fuel pump with bad pulse line,it will not work properly.
I try not changing to many things at once,while doing a diagnostic.

Thanks for the ideas. I worked through one at a time replacing all my fuel lines and going through every fitting and it was the carbs. I haven't figured out yet what is wrong with them, but I swapped to my other set and it works fine (not perfectly adjusted though). I will print the pages from my manual and sit at the workbench and figure out what is wrong with my cleaner and newer set of carbs (maybe something plugged).

Back