Total timing for a fanner 440 and or 485?

turtlecat1000

I did the Phazer top end on to the Exciter 440 bottom end swap and ended up burning it down twice in 120 miles. This time Ive made some serious changes including going from the 440 pipe to a phazer pipe, cutting the 440 heads to fit the phazer bore, and round slide Mikuni's. My question is what should the full advance (retard) be for both motors? Im using the stock exciter stator and cdi that starts at 30 deg. (idle) and pulls down to 14 deg. (full throttle). 14 seems too high still especially since I took 2 degrees out last burndown... Any opinions would be appreciated-Kevin

I don't have the #'s you are asking for but the stock EX ignition set to spec should be fine and not cause burndown. The head should have been done as part of the original build along with the pipe. That and whatever you were using for carb/carbs and fuel could be the problem.

opsled

OPSLED is right i have help a few guys with this conversions i di not know what you all have going on but first off phazer carbs and a stock 78-80 srx air box is the tickect here as you need to run a air box with the butteryfly carbs to help air flow correctly if not it will burn down in the mid range all the time ..........to make everything look authentic you should have had the stock exciter heads and the diamter of the squish bands opend up to 73mm but as long as you have the exciter tins fitted you should be fine with the phazer heads ..........a PSI single phazer pipe works great with this combo jetting should be 110 pilots and either 147.5 or 148.8 mains with the srx air box .............timing should be left stock at 1.6mm BTDC set with a dial indicator .................and premium fuel the stock ex oil pump also works just fine too if you are using it

Yamaha Nutz said:
OPSLED is right i have help a few guys with this conversions i di not know what you all have going on but first off phazer carbs and a stock 78-80 srx air box is the tickect here as you need to run a air box with the butteryfly carbs to help air flow correctly if not it will burn down in the mid range all the time ..........to make everything look authentic you should have had the stock exciter heads and the diamter of the squish bands opend up to 73mm but as long as you have the exciter tins fitted you should be fine with the phazer heads ..........a PSI single phazer pipe works great with this combo jetting should be 110 pilots and either 147.5 or 148.8 mains with the srx air box .............timing should be left stock at 1.6mm BTDC set with a dial indicator .................and premium fuel the stock ex oil pump also works just fine too if you are using it

I'm thinking the butterfly carbs with the UNI filters were probably the source of my grief. I ended up with 162.5 mains and 2.5mm main nozzles with 1.3mm through hole on the last burndown. I REALLY wanted to get it right this time so I did the heads and the pipe along with the carbs. I did open up the squish band to 73mm and used the phazer studs with machined plugs to center the heads. Does the PSI Phazer pipe fit the Exciter (at the back)? The stock Phazer pipe has the chaincase side outlet that was cause for me to gut the pipe and rebuild the rear cone and outlet. As for the timing, I'd love to leave it stock but 16 degrees WOT on an air cooled motor seems scary. What are your thoughts on my timing?

Back