Viper MTN 700 Fuel consumption

700MM

I own a 700 03 Mtn Viper and 700 06 Mtn viper as far as I know both set up stock.

Riding with a group and in general riding styles and peoples weights all being close to equal.

The 06 used 6 gallons of fuel to the 03 4 gallons. This has been the trend all season and I can not come up with a good reason for this large a split. Heated carbs are turned off on both, cleaned carbs. Both cruising down the trail are running about the same RPM so don't think anything adding extra drag or weak motor.

Any input would help.

Tks

700MM

all things being equal, assuming the calibrations havent been altered, consider the fact that the 06 has skis that float better than the 03 as well as a lighter, more efficient skid(in my opinion) and the 06 should actually weigh a bit less than the 03, and your results should have been opposite. i would have thought the 06 to see better mileage vs the 03.

i wouldnt think you would see that much fuel mileage difference, you may need to map out what all's in either sled, compare odometer readings, and perhaps update some wearable parts.

Are you leaking fuel? The tank outlet?
Are your starter plungers not seating properly?
Are the exhaust valves working properly?
How are your carbs jetted and vented?
How are the reed valves?
After that I would look into drag in the drive train and then clutching.

A few little things will add up in the end of the day. Riding style is a big one. Have you swapped operators and have same result? Quick into/out of throttle/brakes versus easing into/out of. What kind of mileage are you getting out of 4 or 6 gallons, Depending on the miles it may just be each is at the opposite ends of the "normal" spectrum. Is oil consumption the same in both sleds or does the sled using more gas use more oil as well?

Thank you for the idea's

I am hoping to head up Wednesday for the last rides of my year.
I will clean the power valves and inspect the reeds. should of looked when the carbs were off.
The 03 actually has powder pro skis and the 06 stock. I will swap them from my 01 MM to the 06 and try that. As a side note the 01 on the same ride used the least amount of fuel but only 2 tenths of a gallon from the 03. it was a 50 mile ride and both the vipers are using the same amount of oil.
looking at the stock clutching sheet the 06 has heavier wts but I don't think should matter? I will look at the jet sizes now i have printed off the spec sheets.
They are not leaking fuel but will make sure the started plungers are fully closed.

any other thoughts would be great.

Tks all
700MM

At 50 miles I would say the 4 gallons is well within normal range, 6 gallons is more on the piggish side. Seems I remember reading if your carb vents are pulled out of the airbox they suck down the fuel. Worth checking the alignmaent on the skis as well, to much toe in will eat up MPG.

Back