Over rev need help..Turk..VMAXJohn anyone HELP

yamyrider

2000 SX700R Bender clutch kit with the 9160 helix, blue primary spring, stock wieght, rollers, not sure what wrap I have as the kit was installed by a Yamy dealer but on the helix the spring is in the 6. U have 2 layers removed from head gasket, Bender can, reed spacers.
when I hit the throttle she will go to about 8400 but climb to about 9000 on acceleration. I know this is too high and I am losing power big time.
I just dont know how to solve it.
HELP.

With out knowing the specs on the helix & springs the only proper way to bring down rpm,s is to add weight to the primary. Are you using an old belt? That will raise rpm,s. A short centre to centre will raise rpm,s. I have clutched a lot of those sleds. a 51/43 helix & changing inner rivet from a 3.6 to a 4.5 gram using stock springs works great in that sled & will pull 8500 rpm all day long! Cost to do this is about $100 in parts.

Turk. I dont know if this helps but that helix if from the SXR600 Bender clutch kit. Cltches are all aligned, belt has a little shine and I will try my new one although I have a feeling it is not that.
Would your suggestion of helis and stock spring be my best option

Hi Turk,
maybe I am beating a dead horse with this bender clutch kit. Kinda hard to take after spending $350 on this kit from bender. I did find out the helix is a 49/45.....which I have not heard of anybody using on that sled. You have already told me twice to go with a new helix and change rivets but like I said am giving one last kick at the can with this $350.00 kit. I looked on the weekend in my city and no one has the helix you recommended but I am still looking. Can I do something with this helix to fix my over-rev problem or again am I beating a dead horse.

Hey Turk,
I am going to really check closely as there is 9160 and 9760.
The 9160 is a 51/45. If it is 51/45 I should be able to make this work (right).
Thanks for your input. I know you are the clutch guru here.

100% confirmed that it is the 49/45 helix. The secondary spring is only black.
If I cant make this work I will place a wanted add on tis site.

Same Bender kit over rev issue

This sounds too familiar. I have a 2001 sxr 700 with the Bender clutch kit and I have an incredible over Rev. I have seen it upwards of 10,000 RPM! I need to find a simple solution. I know Turks solution would be the best bet but I just can't throw away the money I spent in the Bender kit. Why can't we make this work??

Testarosa

49/45 will work with those specs i gave ya. I prefer a 51/43 but it will be close.

those pre-set clutch kits almost always turn out to be off from where the power peak is. Every sled setup is different, a clutch kit like that is just a shotgun set up

Back