Using primary clutch from V-Max 700 on MM700

kimoaj

Hi guys!

Some months ago a friend of me grenaded the primary clutch on his 2000 MM700. To keep him in business I gave him a clutch from a 2000 V-Max 700 that I had on my shelf. As expected it didnt shift correct and over-reved.

To solve this I recommended him to buy a heelclicker 40-10 kit so that we could get it tuned in. So he did and I installed it, used a setup that I got from a friend, with the red spring.

To make sure the primary shifted all out, I used a permanent marker and draw a line on the sheaves. There is still almost a couple of inches left of the line, so it doesnt shift correct/some thing is wrong.

I am now being told (on a Norwegian sled forum) that the primary sheave caps are different from V-Max / MM700. The caps on the MM 700 have a deeper groove for the spring to rest in, so when using the cap from the V-Max with the red spring the spring actually bottoms out before the sheaves are fully apart.
Atleast this is what I am being told but I wonder if any of you can confirm it?

When looking at the parts fiche I can see that the MM700, Viper, SRX and infact also the Nytro has the same cap. But the V-Max 700 has a different part number.

Also, I did check that the weights did move freely. The rollers are 14.5mm.

Anyone know ? :)

Oh btw I must say that it is a pleasure being able to post a thread in a forum that still is 100% good old OEM Yamaha, the new Arctic Cat shit really bothers me.. .

Kimoaj

your cover may be a "short" one pre-2000 just by accident. your borderline on years for the changeover and for sure the 2000 mtn max used the tall cover. and the hc's need the tall cover to function properly.

almost sounds like that could be your issue. how hard did you have to compress the cover to get it in there?

Yessir, a short cover will do that. I have heelclickers in my 01 MM with stock cover, no problems like that at all. Also, to avoid the heelclickers touching the sheave on full tilt (full shift), you should use 15mm rollers. That AC thing bothers me too.

OK guys thanks for the replies! Now I know for sure that this is the problem!
Awsome, will keep you posted on the result. The owner of the sled was suppost to call a scrap dealer today and ask if he had some caps. I`ll talk to him later.

THanks again
Joakim

Back