Well its FLOOD Time again!!

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
so it seems we will be in a Flood situation again.With all the snow we have had and the snow down South in Fargo and Grand Forks..it will all combine to meet and exceed the Flood of 2009 which was our second worse Flood since 1856.We had the flood of the Century in 1997 which was a killer Flood.I should still be fine,water should come as close as maybe 30 from the house on all sides.We have cool temps now which will aid ina slow melt.If the temps rise quickly here and South of us we will be scrambling.

I may not be putting up my Flood wall,but have to prepare to clear snow around the house just in case.Here is a video of the snow around the house and the pad where the wall gets built on.Did a walk around today,since then I have cleared an extra 4 feet out on the lawn so I could move the Flood Wall components.

On a positive note you might get to use that boat you bought last year! LOL! All j/k aside hope you fair well this spring blue. Enjoy the snow while you can and get ready for spring thaw, it comming here this weekend by the looks of it.

yep wanna try out the Boat and motor.The motor is a 7.5 Merc and I had it running real good last time.I am going to borrow my stepsons 2 HP Yamaha outboard as a backup.I wanna cruise the water of the RED RIVER and do donuts in the water...lol

PS: still a lot of good riding left yet.Temps are supposed to still be cool next week..don't know when the melt will start,hope it doesn't all come suddenly..

So you put up a flood wall of some sort that plugs in to those holes on the outer edge of that concrete around your entire house? I have never seen any thing like that. What is the wall made out of? Where do you store it all?

The melt has started here in Munising. Makes for good riding but dam it gets difficult to get around in the car. Dirt roads are mud/slush. Its going to be a long process. Still lots of snow.

I'll explain later and show pics.I am so exhausted right now,been cleaning snow around my house most of the day.The damn so is like ice,have to break it with a shovel and slowly snow blow.Piss's me off how packed it is.I have no strength left in my arms and my wrist is really hurting,can't even hold the shovel and lift with my right hand..it is killing me.
I am going to have to search for a used little 4 wheel drive tractor with a bucket and bigger snowblower.Can't see myself doing this everytime we get a ton of snow and a flood is coming..just can't do it physically..

my back is sore and feel like I was hit by a truck..the friggin snowpack is dense and holds a lot of water in it...

munisean said:
So you put up a flood wall of some sort that plugs in to those holes on the outer edge of that concrete around your entire house? I have never seen any thing like that. What is the wall made out of? Where do you store it all?

The melt has started here in Munising. Makes for good riding but dam it gets difficult to get around in the car. Dirt roads are mud/slush. Its going to be a long process. Still lots of snow.
here are some pics from 2011.I store all the pcs in a little shed behind the garage..easy to get to.
P3300028.jpg

floodwall.jpg

Top.jpg

I pop the caps off the concrete.There is a 3" by 3" x 24" long channel down the concrete.Then I sled steel tubes down there and lock in with a steel pin thru the front of the concrete(were the round holes in concrete are)Then bolt 2x6 boards to the tubes(they float and are tightened once plywood is attached).Then 4 x 8 x 3/4" treated plywood is applied to the 2 x 6 boards with screws.The plywood drops down lower to but up against the concrete lip.I use thin foam strips in the the joints were plywood butts up.I use spray foam on the bottom and face of concrete where plywood butts up to.Then I seal the inside all around the concrete and where plywood is..because concrete is not uniform.Once the foam sets it is water proof.We are supposed to put plastic over the wall and place sandbags on the plastic where it meets the ground,but I don't use it.Found the foam really works.When I take it all apart I really have to tug on the plywood.Then foam is easy to remove with wire wheel on a drill,I foam all the caps back in.If you don't seal the caps,over time water will fill in the opening all the way down.Then in Spring it will be all frozen that you will never get a tube into it..so that is an important thing to do..other wise you are screwed waiting for it to all melt.Much faster then sandbagging and I can do it all myself slowly.

Last edited:
2009 Pic of House

my house was on an island in 2009.In 1997 it was right against the sandbags next to the house.

Attachments

• P4140124.JPG
    P4140124.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P4190132.JPG
    P4190132.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 77
  • P4140126.JPG
    P4140126.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 77
lol..the snow-blower is over 40 years old..believe it.I just maintained it throughout the years,used to be my dads.It is a 10 HP Tecumseh and cut 33 inches.That snow-blower has gone to hell and back.When I was younger one year my parents went away on a trip to hot spot during the Winter.We got a good snowfall so decided to clean my dads yard.Started up the blower and started and then all of a sudden the motor just stopped abruptly .So checked for gas..ok..then grabbed pull start and it would not pull.I then thought ..motor just seized.I had no knowledge about motors,but grabbed some of my dads tools,started to take things apart so I could remove the head.Exposed the piston and could not push it down.Sprayed oil on top and forced the piston down.Sprayed more oil and finally got the pull start to work.Kept doing this until it finally felt decent and normal again.Put everything back,checked oil and there was nothing.I guess my dad drained the oil and maybe something took him away because he forgot to put fresh oil in..lol. Worked good after for many many years.
Then in 1997 there was the BIG Flood.So My dad put every gas driven piece of equipment in his garage(the highest point in the yard and then they sand bagged around the whole house and garage.Well the Flood went over his bags eventually and house had 3 feet on main floor,of course garage was flooded to.I remember when we went to check the house after the water went thru,I don't remember seeing anything sticking above the water in the garage.But under the water was the garden tractor,push mover,roto tiller,weed eater,chain saw, irrigation pumps,and snow blower of course.All these things sat under that muddy water for over a month.My dads friend from work and he had to go thru all the motors,drain the water,flush out everything garden tractor eventually started to give us issues in the summer with starting,all wire end were rusting and breaking off.we just got rid of it to my uncle cheap.
Anyways the snow-blower today still runs great,starts easy.The only thing that went on it was the electric starter.The bracket finally rusted that holds it in place and it all fell off one day when I was using it.Otherwise that motor is as tough as a Yamaha motor..maybe tougher..lol. We only paid $1000 for it originally on sale..what a deal and one tough blower..

Last edited:
it may or may not be bad.The temps being cool is supposed to help.We are still only going to see -6 and -7 C for highs on Sunday and Monday coming.I mean a tad melts because of the Sun,but not much.My only concern is will it warm up to like 10 to 20 C here and South of us at the same time and then cause overland flooding first before the River breaks up.I really don't want all this water around my place again,just makes a mess and lots of cleanup after.This being a late Flood,Farmers usually like to start seeding in early May,but does not seem like it this year.They may be seeding in June which is really late.

Looks like they are opening up Rafferty and Alameda to help you out a bit but the Quappelle will have lots to offer. We have 6-7 feet still and not alot of melt yet around Regina. Most snow here ever recorded! Too bad the winds picked up and hardened it.

Rafferty and Alameda dams sit above Lake Darling which flows into the Souris and passes through my neck of the woods. They are concerned a little bit about some flooding but it isn't a big threat yet. While the Souris does flow back into Canada and meets up with another river and then into the Red, that junction is North of bluemonster1 thankfully.

yep the Souris does not effect me,that is way West of me and then it makes its way to Lake Manitoba.The water from the Red makes its way to Lake Winnipeg.I am ready for this Flood,it may not be that bad,probably won't put up my Flood Wall since it would have to climb 2 more feet higher to start to spill onto my concrete Pad.But for water to climb 2 more feet..it would also be spreading up to 50 miles wide first.

Back