carb problems ?

BLUEBY

99 srx. do i need to pull the carbs to get at the needles. on saturday my buddies srx kept backfiring and fouling out the center plug. put a new plug in and fire it up, runs fine for 15 sec then starts to backfire then fouls. I also thought compression but this sleds only has 1800 mi and he runs it like grandpa, but i plan on checking compression tomorrow. so i'm thinking we got a clogged pilot jet,needle?

Last edited:

Is the plug wet when it comes out, you may have a serious build up of gas and needs to be dried out. You can torch the old plugs and reuse until you dry it out and thenm put a new one in. When starting the sled do not leave the choke on as well, you can use the choke but feather it as it needs it or you will flood it again. This may not be your issue but I have seen many sleds especially SRX's as they are very finicke when it comes to starting and you can toss a lot of gas in one of those cylinders very fast causing plugs to foul out.

boots are good, Ya they are finicke, and my buddie is the kind of guy who will fire it up leave the choke on full for 1 minute, get ready to go it will stall out because of a fouled plug,look at us and put his arms in the air, cus,cus,cus. some people just dont get it. he really needs to on a srv. start it up and go. i'm pretty darn sure it's dirty carbs.

If he is leaving the choke all the way on for that long they will load up quick, he should use the choke to start it, as soon as it starts turn the choke off and if it starts to die just give it a quick choke and turn the choke off again. This may take 3 or 4 off and ons but the fouling of plugs should go away. My son has a srx 700 and once I got him to understand this he never foulded a plug again.

It could be a stuck float. Put the rear bumper on a jack stand and try to clean out the motor on the stand til you think the richness is all gone. Then let it idle and see what happens. If you think the float is stuck tap the float bowl lightly and see if it corrects the problem. You may have to pull the carbs to fix the problem, so while you're at it give all of them a good cleaning. To answer your original question, yea you can adjust the needles in the carbs while on the sled, but it's a pain. Check the choke plunger on that carb and see if it's stuck.

Back