Clutching/gearing Question

riverman

Just finished 121 to 136 conversion on my 98 700vmax xtc with 6100 miles of unpampered love on the speedo. Went with a 1.25 ripsaw and 110 studs down the middle, 8 tooth anti ratchet drivers, tracks usa rail extension, and max performence tunnel extensions. A special thanks to Mr. Sled and Rich @ Richmotorsports for all their help. Have the needles clip 2, can bored, reeds notched, and one layer gasket removed. The engine is still stong, but will get a new top end this summer. Love the simmon's up front I put on last year.

The clutch is stock. There are some very small spider cracks showing on the back of the secondary. The sled is geared 23/40 and with the stock drivers had a ratio of 1.74 and calculated top speed of 108 mph. With the 8 tooth drivers the ratio is 1.97 and top speed reduced to 94. I am fine with the top speed. I only use lakes and groomed trails to "get off the trails' if you know what I mean. I havent had a chance yet to ride it, but was wondering what some of you thought about the ratio and if my clutch is going to need a different helix and a little tuning. Thanks alot. :yam:
ps I weigh 150lbs wet!!

Last edited:

Clutch the sled to run at 83-8500 rpm..you will need more weight added & a steeper helix would help . When the cracks make it to the shive surface replace em. If they are small hairline cracks near the bottom of the shives you are still OK.

The sled from mile one has always pulled 8600 to 8700. Is it still going to run those rpms with the changes made and are you telling me to get her down alittle for more powerband. The stock weights are 8ch/13.9&13.9 and the helix is 45 degrees. Your recomendation on what to go to. Thanks Turk.

It will overrev now that you geared down.I can not possibly tell you in a skazillion years how much weight to add till you tell me what rpm,s are now with the new set up!

ok, looks like a portion of Mi is finally going to get some new snow. Plan on riding a few days and will get back with you on the rpms. thanks again

Back