Chisels

Hammer Down

I have 3/4" vantage track with 192 new .920" gold digger studs. 96 up the middle and 96 on the outside. I want to add 48 1.075" Chisels up the middle to what I have now to aid traction on the ice drags.
I was also thinking of removing 48 trail studs from the middle and putting 96 new Chisels up the middle.
I mainly run the lakes and smooth trails and Do a few races on a plowed ice drag trip.(although if it hooks up good I will race more.)
My questions are; Is it a problem to have to different length studs/chisels.?AND What are your opinions on this.

yes its a problem. have to use all one size. for playing around on a lake , probley be fine, but you state you will run on a plowed ice drag strip. when the ice gets chewed up from other sleds, the shorter studs will not penetrate the ice, and will be held upwards from the long stud. been there done that. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)

Tony,
I thought the chisels only came in 1.075. But they are made .920. How would it help to add 48 chisels up the middle?

Last edited:
.920 golddiggers and 1.075 chisels , thats a huge difference in height. two things when studding a track, especially on a high hp sled like the vmax 4, you have to have atleast 3/4 penetration and you should use atleast a 1.000 inch length stud. of corse take into consideration your lug height. woodys make a chisel up to a 1.200 length. i would ditch those gold diggers. two short. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Do you mean 3/4 inch longer than lug of track.? Trying to make a trail sled drag race on ice isnt going to work that well, is it?

Yes 3/4 over lug. Pic one or the other u can not keep pixx or chisels sharp trail riding them over rocks stumps or roads

What's the longest chisel I can run on a speed track on a vmax4 800.? How many should I run and where/what pattern?

I run 1.05-1.07 on my .525 speed track I run 168 on my ported sx 700. The less rotating mass the better. So the less studs that u need to hook good the better. Like I was told lay on a full bed of nails then lay on a bed with less, = More weight per stud more penetration. Some times less is more.

This was an 840 RPC heavy mod. 136 track and 320+ chissels. I hooked HARD!! and consistant. Not so with the 121. As said to many will slow you down but to few is worse. Chissels will bend if under to much load per and will also stress the track more. A picked track will spin if there are to few for the job but chissels can do much damage to an expensive track if there are not enough.

opsled

SPEED TRACKS ARE .525 LUG HEIGHT. I HAVE USED A 1'' AND HOOKED GREAT WITH THIS
track on my SLED. I ALSO WAS AROUND 240 FOR CHISELS. I LIKE JOES THEORY ABOUT '' LESS IS MORE '' THATS FINE EXCEPT WHEN YOU HAVE A SNOWMOBILE THAT WEIGHS WHAT A VMAX 4 WEIGHS AND HAS THE POWER A VMAX 4 HAS, LESS AIN,T THE ANSWER. I WOULD NOT RUN UNDER 192. ESPECIALLY FOR RACING. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Opsled, that is bada$$ sled. Thanks for info. Two more questions guys; If I start off with 192 1" chisels on the speed track where should I place them? I have heard for straight line acceleration you want them up the middle. Also, the speed track I have has already 96 chisels in it but they are on double backers. Any opinion on double backers.?

i use 48 double backers (96 studs) on my 95 800. leave them in. you will have to use outside with 192, so double back two per, 1 chisel and 1 on outside. 4 pure belt. or get a template if not sure. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
I would add a few hooker plates for a drag sled. All the weight on the rails drives them into the ice and gives the possibility of added scratch lines!

hooker plate can have two holes or one that are threaded. they than are tach welded to the track clips under your sliders. see thats the most extreme pressure point on a suspension under those rails. than a ice pick is threaded into them. only problem you need to move your heat exchangers to run a hooker system. on ice and grass, there is nothing better for racing. 3:16 (yammie tony)

It is well worth moving the exchangers! The hook up is crazy for the number of studs needed. We even run them for radar runs now.

I have seen them moved under the running boards or removed totally in some cases.
I have a track set up with hooker plates that I could send you a picture of if you are interested. I cannot post pics on here for some reason so I would need your e mail.

no better hook -UP anywhere than this.maybe old school cleats, but i doubt it. hooker set-ups have been around along time and are probley as old as me. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)

Back