78 exciter 440

vmax4pjg

78 exciter 440 clutch allingment

having a hell of time lineing up my clutches. I pulled the power plant out for cleaning, reinstalled per specs thought I had it but the belt seems too tight even though my mesuarments are close. I think that motor mount plate near the front of the sled is bent. i would rather work with the one i have because i have a feeling that another used one is probably bent too [worse then mine]. it didn't seem like there was hardly any room for motor movement at all. i don't remember my center to center number and i think the offset is 5mm [i have it written down somewhere]. not sure what to do but i bet one of you guys have seen this one before. thanks - peter

Last edited:

Center to center is 10.6 in.

Offset is 5.5 mm

I haven't experience with the front motor mount plate bending, all 4 of mine are strait as an arrow.

Also, I haven't ever had my center to center perfect. It's actually an inch off from spec at 9.4 in. I didn't notice it riding it though. (Avatar Pic)

It's quite possible that the Exciters were never lined up perfectly to begin with. One of my Exciters has the carb absolutely JAMMED in the airbox. over an inch in from where it should be. My other Exciter (that actually has a good clutch center to center) carb is about .5 in. out of the airbox. So it might just be a crapshoot on clutch alignment.

crapshoot + clutch allingment = oil + water = no good . I need it right on. an inch off of specs , yikes! im talking 16ths .

Last edited:
yes everyone of the plates ihave seen are bent it is very common grind the holes in the motor plate bigger to get your alignment dead on ..........the olny what to straighten the engine plates is in a press so are easy some take hours ...as long as they are not cracked spend the time and straighten it out plus all of the chassis bend on the front cross member and the only way to fix that is to strip the sled to the bare chassis and pull it back ........

I kinda thought I would be making those holes bigger, it would take hours on a press getting that thing true. no cracks just a pretty decient belly from hard landings I guess.

Most all race sleds like 74-80 Gpx Srx made the holes at least one inch diameter to have a good amount of adjustability. You can also mill the ones where it has 4 bolts that are on bottom of cases rectangle if u need more length yet it you are worried about your holes getting too big and cranking aluminum plate near edges of holes.

Back