ExciterII questions

asphaltEX

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a 'vintage' or not but I just bought a '91 Exciter II 570. I will be making it into an asphalt sled against a few people's warnings that It's not a good sled for that (I couldn't resist buying it, being a sledhead from the 80s)

My questions are
1; I've noticed some 91s are black, some are red (mine is black) what was the difference?

2; what is SO bad about the 570s? I remember them cleaning up on the lake we used to race on back then.

3; has anybody been successful at putting a late 90s SRX 700 motor in one?

their not considered vintage, too new. you could get them in black or red. no difference except color. 570 is a good motor. by 1991, pretty much any issues were out of them, modded they were pretty fast. i have a 1993 exciter sx. i love it. never get three pipes in that chassis. farr as tar racing it. hey if your track runs bracket racing, go for it. 3:16 (YAMMIE TONY)

Ya, I figured as much about not being able to stuff 3 pipes in, I was thinking about going single instead and if I axe the oil injection and run pre-mix there should be more than enough room for another cylinder. My local track runs E.T.s so i'll still be running with the 10sec. sleds just with a headstart. (I figure about 2sec.) Plus every once in a while there a few older twins show up just to goof around, that's all I plan to do anyway (atleast for now) not for points.

As for the running issue, I read on line that those problems where fixed with the II's but the mechanic at my local hammar dealer said they where all bad for 'popping', but then again he is only in his late 20s/early 30s and up til 8yrs ago when him and his dad opened the dealership where loyal Polaris guys (there are 3 Pol-cat dealers around here and they are the only hammer dealer within 50mi)

Back