Front heat exchanger bent

mulderdad

Front heat exchanger is pushed back about 3/8" towards the track.
Got to love thos rocks just under the snow. #$%&*
Has anyone tried to straighten one before? I am concerned about trying to bend back aluminum without causing further damage.
thanx,
mul

If its not leaking - and not in the way of anything - dont touch it, dont weld on it fur sure - they have an inner chamber inside and if you nick it and pierce through it (the inside) - your done - it will leak into the main chamber and there are holes in the outside that you cant get to unless you pull it - so it will leak like a river and then it cannot be fixed - has to be changed out - huge job!! It cannot be changed out from the bottom - pull the motor and get out the grinder for the rivots from hell - If it leaks - try jb weld or a 2 part thick (muffler repair) epoxy.
Can you say belly pan protector!! worth there weight. If you make a claim - it will be close to a total.

same thing happened to me last year, but mine is very close to the track, no leaks and i am running it as is with no trouble. thanks to my skidplate though, it saved the day!

I am just concerned b/c I am in the process of re-studding it. I am also putting in a different set of front protectors. One was ripped off when I hit the rock.
I have a 1" with 144 1.175" studs.
mul

Do you have a full length to the end of the belly nearest the heat exchanger - protector or a half length version - The half length will not protect your exchanger. I find it hard to believe you would have a problem with a full length version.

Back