Help with a bender piped Viper !?

Robban M

My -04 bender piped viper is driving me crazy ! The DCS keeps flashing..no matter what the jetting is. The needle position is also changed into the 4 position. I´ve done everything bender say´s: head mod, opticool gasket...Does anyone have a tip for me ? Does it help unhooking the airbox vent ??
/Robert, Sweden

Last year everyone that posted that had pipes(no matter of brand) on a 2004 Viper w/ DCS complained of this. Apparently the system is too sensitive to the inherent harmonics the pipes put on the motor. I believe most guys unhooked the DCS. If you run EGT's you'll be fine.

A friend had the same problem after installing pipes last year,he installed the venom head from hauck and has not had the problem since.-Harvey

i think you need the head mod to get the compression the same on all three and you will be fine , i think i read something on the bender site , ill go look and see if i can find it ...

here ya go ...hope this helps ...

Tuning the 2004 Viper with pipes requires some extra attention to avoid triggering the deto sensor light.

While pipes on the 2004 perform within the same specifications as the 2002 and 2003 Vipers, the addition of the detonation sensor to the 2004 models has caused problems for some triple piped Viper owners. The deto sensor is very sensitive, and is often triggered when running pipes with the stock compression, which is not the same for all three cylinders. Our Viper Head mod is a recommended modification for all triple pipe owners. The unequal compression in the Viper cylinder head is designed to correct a stock y-pipe- caused temperature variation in the cylinders. Since triple pipes eliminate the y-pipe, a return to the more desirable equal compression is possible for triple pipes Vipers. This is most beneficial, and mandatory for operation of VIper triple pipes on deto-sensor equipped models. Click here VIPM02 to order the mod. You'll send in your own stock head for trade or modification

I do remember guys w/ CPR pipes with the head mod still having problems. Maybe srxspec knows. They've done alot of pipe setups. The only aftermarket head I know that has the det. sensor knockout for mounting is the Peak. Does the Venom head also allow the DCS mounting?

our you can have the stock head milled , but check around like journyman said , it might not be the fix ....

Tps

I have Bender Triples on my o2' Viper and I just went out for my first real ride this weekend. They worked awesome, but I know your problem. On mine the warning light kept flashing as well as the engine diagnosis icon. Weird, but they just went away after 10 min. and never came back. I don't have DCS, but according to Hacker's Yamaha in Houghton Lake, MI. they insist the the TPS needs to be adjusted 1/4 inch in either direction (experiment). They claim that they have seen this problem with many piped vipers and after this adjustment the warning signal goes away. One case a guy had gone to 5 different shops...including Bender!! and they coudln't fix it. Hackers fixed it with the TPS in about 15 min...they guy hasn't had a problem since. Give her a looksie.

The first thing to try is screw your DCS plug out of the head and wrap it in pipe tape then install it back in (this will make it less sensitive, but watch your jetting as when the DCS light comes on it will be on the edge of burn down). Now as far as the head mod, I haven't used that at all. I have however installed the Mega Power head with the DCS compatible Mega Power water rail and 1-outside layer and the middle layer of the stock gasket without any problems. Post your full jetting specs so we know exactly where you're at.

I´m now running 3*165 main, 3*52,5 pilot and I even raised the needles to 4.0. The thing is that the DCS starts flashing when I accelerate at the speed at 90-120 km/h. Now matter what temperature it is outside the DCS flashes. When the engine still haven´t reached the "working temperature" it works better. As soon as it reaches the right temperature it flashes more. Thank´s for all the advice !!!
/Robban in Sweden

..and yes I have the headmod. It´s done by a bender representative here in Sweden. Is the compression supposed to be exactly equal on all three cylinders ?? I´ve checked mine and they showed 115, 125, 125 PSI, despite the mod. The cumbustion chamber hasn´t been touched. Is this the correct mod ???

The compression should be the same on all three cylinders with the head mod done I believe. All should be around 120 lbs on a cold motor (slight variances between compression guages).

mine are 120 all the way across with the bender head mod ....

The headmod was not done properly...and I´m a little bit angry..
/Thank´s for helping me find out

Back