Im off to Iowa...

JDViper

Lifetime Member
Website
s1231.photobucket.com
Headed down the dusty trail to Iowa for a weeks long deer hunt. Been waiting for this for 4 years now. Should be interesting.... There are plenty of big bucks there. hope I get a crack at one!

Well, Im back. This is the result. Had a great trip. Close to the best all around hunting trip I have ever gone on. Great weather as well. Southeast Iowa is a special place! I practiced all summer and was very confident out to 50 yards with my bow. Ended up shooting him at under 20. :) Oh well. I could write for hours about the trip but ill let the pics talk. Click it to go to the folder.

Nice buck, I've been applying for Iowa as well. Did you go on private or just hunt public land?

Thanks Guys!
When I met my wife she was a nanny. The people she worked for have the land down there. 120 acres I think. The neighbor (and co-owner of this piece) has 2400 acres! I have hunted a lot of different places and that was by far the best hunting I have ever seen. Its nothing to drive around during daylight and see large mature buck cruising the edges and fingers of woods. I took the scenic route home when I left the cabin and saw one the same size out in the open. I saw at least 15 different bucks and 5 shooters in the 4 days I hunted. It was amazing.

Thanks Guys!
When I met my wife she was a nanny. The people she worked for have the land down there. 120 acres I think. The neighbor (and co-owner of this piece) has 2400 acres! I have hunted a lot of different places and that was by far the best hunting I have ever seen. Its nothing to drive around during daylight and see large mature buck cruising the edges and fingers of woods. I took the scenic route home when I left the cabin and saw one the same size out in the open. I saw at least 15 different bucks and 5 shooters in the 4 days I hunted. It was amazing.

Wow, that is amazing. I'll be happy with a decent 6 point this year, but we can take a doe between dad and I. We are out of venison.

Nice looking deer I like the brow tines, pretty neat. I have struck out so far this year but still have shotgun or late muzzleloader to get it done. Glad to see your trip was worth it.

The rut is getting underway this week here in Ohio. This coming weekend is youth gun season, so I hope my daughter gets a chance at a nice buck like yours Jason. I am taking her to southern ohio this saturday, we have seen some real dandys on the trail cams, now all my daughter needs is a 60-75yd shot! She has a 20guage slug gun with a scope, shes pretty good with it!

Only problem is, if she gets a buck like yours, is the hunt is going to cost me another $250 cause shes gonna want it mounted to hang up.....LOL

The rut is getting underway this week here in Ohio. This coming weekend is youth gun season, so I hope my daughter gets a chance at a nice buck like yours Jason. I am taking her to southern ohio this saturday, we have seen some real dandys on the trail cams, now all my daughter needs is a 60-75yd shot! She has a 20guage slug gun with a scope, shes pretty good with it!

Only problem is, if she gets a buck like yours, is the hunt is going to cost me another $250 cause shes gonna want it mounted to hang up.....LOL

LOL! Yeah i was on the fence if i wanted a shoulder mount or not. My wife says to me when we were looking at pictures on teh computer "you know you are going to have to mount that right". Im not one to argue a good point! :)

Back