SRX didn't start in cold weather

nailsandrails

VIP Member
I was wondering if anyone had a better solution to prevent the gas lines from icing up in cold weather. Here is what happened. Filled up with gas in the am (14 below so I added a bottle of heat) rode the whole day and had about 100 miles on the tank. (less than a quarter left) We went into a bar at night for about an hour and when I came out the sled would not start. It tried to start 1 time and then no more. I pulled for quite awhile and checked plugs. They were dry. Do any of you guys have a better solution other than trying to keep a full tank when it's cold and running heat in the tank?

The jets might have frozen. It has happened to me before. Had to use a blow dryer to thatw the carbs, also heard of people pouring hot water on the carb to that it

Allways use isopropyl in your gas. That allmost allways eliminates icing up from water in the gas.

Thanks guys. Isopropyl is what I had used. (just called it heat) I was thinking with that empty of a tank, and the extreem cold it may not have been enough.(or none left..not sure how effective it would be at the end of a tank) I got the sled home and it fired right up after thawing out. I have also been through the hairdryer trick back in the day. Just looking for a better solution. I did see one guy do something I think you all might find interesting. The motel we stayed at had electric hook-ups. He put a heating pad on the cylinders over night. That thing started right up in the -14 degree temps.(2 pulls) I thought it was a pretty smart idea!

that trick with the heating pad is good idea. a trouble light works wonders too under pipes next to block.

had the same thing happen on my viper. wasn't running the carb heaters, went into the bar for about 1/2 hour, came out and froze solid. took about 3 gallons of hot water to thaw them out. now i just leave the heaters on and make sure to always run dry gas

Guys....Dont forget, It could be the fuel pump froze. On a viper all it takes is a small amount of snow/water to get under the pump and it MAY start and die, then not restart. A bucket of hot water works MUCH faster then a hair dryer. Pour it down behind the air box and it will run right down over the fuel pump. Most of the time its NOT iced up lines or carbs. ===SRXSRULE===

Has anyone ever tried an electric blanket in the engine bay at night?

JCWhitney has a "battery warmer" http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2353/c-10101

that would work better because it is acid and oil resistant, but I'm concerned that its shape (for a battery) would not allow it to fit over the engine completely. Also I understand that it is not just the engine that must stay warm.

Any ideas anyone?

Back