Hyfax Wear Fix

SRXS4

Recently purchased a 2002 SRX, set up by the Yamaha Factory with 2200 miles on it, bone stock other than studs and 8" carbides. Awesome sled with tons of power and great handling, but the ride is very harsh, I guess you cant have everything. I have searched this forum and it seems that SRX owners experience this common problem of burning through Hyfax. I have pulled up the limiter straps, taken the preload off of the rear suspension, and so forth. I have put 450 miles on the sled and changed the Hyfax after 250, and am now down to the wear marks on the new set. Will the marginal snow kit offered by Yamaha be a good bet or is the oversized wheel kit the way to go offered by Maximum performance? thank you in advance for the help!

The marginal snow wheel kit helps, as does a Camoplast track. The stock track eats hyfax badly. Another trick that Skidooboy taught me was to drill holes in the hyfax in the shape of the 5 on a dice (see Tech Pages). Another trick is to heat the hyfax to the point where they get really hot and start to melt, then cool them down quickly by dipping them in snow or cold water. Again, Skidooboy is the guy who gave me these ideas and I have put over 1000 miles on this set of hyfax and they aren't near the wear line yet (running a Camo 1" track with hyfax wheel saver kit, also)

That's pretty excessive wear, ...you may want to check your track tension, ...I don't suspect you'll have a lot of adjustment with those studs, but loosen up the track just before the point of ratcheting. I read somewhere that drilling the hyfax "may" introduce road debris in the holes and create a new set of problems, ...hyfax saver wheel kit is a useful addition in reducing hyfax wear.

Back