viper shocks in an SRX

2stroken

2000 SRX, and 2002 Viper shocks. I know the shocks are not updated, but what do I need to know about this setup? Where do I set the limiter straps? I have the maximum performance transfer rods on it currently, just move a spacer? any info would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to get the SXR limiter straps, you will need longer transfer rods, the W arm bump stops, rear heat exchanger tunnel protectors, the mounting hardware for the transfer rods, they get relocated to the holes farther back the don't use a shaft.

Parts

I have a 98 xtc skid that I can use the parts out of. I am curious about the rear heat exchanger protectors though. what about the shaft?
Thanks
Dan

You can just just adjust the limiter straps with a wrench and bolt in the shocks and you will be fine. I did this to mine as have many others. There are a million posts on this site about this topic.

works great. i did it this season

put 02 vipers (takes offs with stiff rate) on my 2000 srx
the 2000 has long enough straps.

what i did was dial in the strap length so that the travel was just limited by the strap, jsut before the shock did full travel ( logic is the strap takes the full extension load and not the internal stop of the shock shaft) anyway

the rear i bolted in also and left both shocks at the std preload.

i did add a 10mm extension to my stock transfer rods and made a few sizes of plastic washers. i am currently at 10mm gaps both top and bottom. you want to equalized the gaps and not be over 10mm when you are sitting on the sled.

on my first ride i had the fra ( rear spring's front mount bolt placement) set to stiff (i.e. the lower position with more lever arm)

the sled was extremely tippy in the turns. I thought to myself..."What have i done to this thing"

I then moved the setting to the inner most position (shortest lever arm) and the sled corners on rails again like it did stock.. perfect!!! and a much better bump ride...... this also (in theory) makes the rear shock which was supposedly too stiff for those pansie viper dudes :na work harder because of the shorter arm and therefore seems perfect to me

regarding the front shocks. i flipped the top brackets upside down and ground away a few spots on the bulkhead mounting surface and shock brackets themselves to get everything to mount flush and not interfere. this added the abouth 1 inch ride height to the front to compensate for the rear height increase. I may put the viper fornt shocks on but need to fab a bracket to mount them.. the srx front shocks are a little rough compared tor my luxury upgrade to my butts ride :)

hope this helps

Ramb

Back