Wiring harness

carmanSRX

The wiring harness on my 99 SRX is shorting out on the bulkhead, this causes my headlight and my temp light to flicker. Could this also be affecting my timing, and causing my engine to load, and result in power loss?

I had the same problem recently, ...just grabbed a handful of harness behind the block and tie wrapped it up, ...good temporary fix until spring. Ultimately I will strip down the engine bay and cover the harness in sheathing.

i had the same problem with my viper. My head lights, tail lights, and gauge quit and the sled would barly run. once u find and fix the short in the wireing it should work fine my problem was on the tail light.

my 02' viper did the same thing in South Dakota 2 years ago....died completely 30 miles from camp!!! A real crap day, then I had to rent a 570 fan cooled Arctic Crap...for 140.00 a day! 250.00 dollars later I picked her up at the dealer....it's run like a champ since.

yes it is most likely the wiring harness under the engine. This has been an all-too-common problem, but the fix isn't very difficult. You can pull the engine to do it, but you don't have to. Unplug all of the wires from the dash pod, and fish about a foot of it out from behind the engine, and you will find the bare wires. Individually tape the wires in the affected area, then tape the whole group of them, and then put some wire loom over the outside of the wires and pull it back under the engine. Then, reconnect all the wires and the problem should be fixed. As yama18 said, another common problem we have seen a couple of times is the tail light wires shorting out IN the actual taillight assembly, so if the wires under the engine don't solve your problem, look at that next. Hope this helps ;)!

Thanks for all the insight, found a bare wire, beside the chain case, and could it arcing out against the bulkhead. Fixed but not riden yet, so don't know if that was robbing my power, it would only do 110mph on speedo, but it was fouling plugs like they were free.

Back