97 VMax triple not idling

jetskiboy17

Hey guys,

We have a 1997 VMax triple that has been over the hill and back again. My dad and I run sea-foam in them every year and get our selds out and start them once in the late summer fall time. So in September my dad get out the vmax and it starts up like usual and purrs like a kitten and rides it around the yard and then back in the garage with everything fine. Now last week he goes up to ride and it starts up like normal runs cold for a bit he warms it up and its fine. He goes to drive on his way but, its missing going across the lake. It runs normal at mid to high speeds but is missing at low and will not idle and as soon as he stops it dies. we tired changing the plugs (they were fouled) but, it still wouldn't idle at all. He noticed that one of the plug wires connector to the plug was rusty (my thought is bad contact causing a load on the engine) but he thinks there's a bad coil pack on that cylinder. (I couldn't believe when he told me this over the phone that he didn't try to scrape the contact!) sorry we are not mechanics we are minimal upkeep riders.

What would cause a sled to not idle that did 3 months prior? Could it be that the contacts on one plug are not good like i thought? what is a common problem with a sled not idling?

Thanks
Dave

9 times out of 10 it's clogged pilot jets. time to clean those carbs. if it will idle on half or full choke there you go.

X2 -

Star-tron, Seafoam, Stabil, ATF, nothing. I use nothing... except ATF during spring prep.

I've opened carbs this year that used all of the above.

Maybe using a fuel shut-off and running the carbs dry if the next ride is more than a couple weeks out. May require priming with premix for the next ride but it may keep the pilots clean. I'd rather spill some fuel in the holes than flip the carbs over, again and again...

This year is proving to be another banner year for pilot wax.

I'd use some starter fluid in lieu of the prefix, for years that' how I'd prime the sled y pouring bit of gas on through the air box. Always worked until I got that backfire. Sled was on a trailer with 4 others till hooked to the truck. TOOK 2 fire extinguishers, and lots of SNOW and a couple gallons of washer fluid to quench those flames. Got lucky only melted the air box, nd melted a hole through one side panel. Was running again yesterday.

Hey Dave, how are you coming with the Red Machine? Did you get it sorted out?

I'd use some starter fluid in lieu of the prefix, for years that' how I'd prime the sled y pouring bit of gas on through the air box. Always worked until I got that backfire. Sled was on a trailer with 4 others till hooked to the truck. TOOK 2 fire extinguishers, and lots of SNOW and a couple gallons of washer fluid to quench those flames. Got lucky only melted the air box, nd melted a hole through one side panel. Was running again yesterday.

We put premix down the plug holes not dump it in the air box.

Back