Tether Install

Heimie

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if someone could give me some direction. I am looking to install a tether kill switch on my 98 VMax 700 XTC-P. What has me confused is the wiring that I need to connect to. I was thinking of connecting into the kill button. I have 3 wires coming out of it. From what I read, this is a normally open kill button. So, which wire is it from the kill button? Or, which of the wires on the key switch would it be. I am assuming that it grounds out to kill the engine? The tether I bought is also normally open.

So, I was thinking that if I wire it in parallel to the kill button or switch, then it will work. If not, I could wire it in series and still make it work. Anyway, just need to know what wire I need to tap into. Is it black/white, black/yellow or brown? I am hoping that someone else on here has done a tether so that I am not chasing my tail for half a day. I do not have a wiring diagram either.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

brown(chocolate)is your ground wire. use the black/white for the other connection. dont mess with the black/yellow, its for the tors system.

scotchlocks are an easy connection method if you seal them up with some silicone. i prefer to splice and solder.

make sure you get the right switch. its been awhile since i installed one but i want to think the yamahas are a normally open system. hopefully someone else will confirm.

Ok guys. Here is how to do it. I figured it out today. The black with white tracer is one wire and the brown is the other. On the handle bar side of the plug under the bar pad, the brown wire turns to black. I spliced into the other side of the plug, so that if the kill button needed to be replaced, I wouldn't have to re-wire the tether. To figure out which ones, I used my ohm meter to see what wires ran the kill button switch. When those were figured, I just spliced into them, as the tether I have is a normally open switch, just like the kill button on the handlebars. So now when the kill button is depressed, the engine dies, also when the tether is pulled, the engine dies, and the key still works. Easy-peasy!

I thought that the TORS was tied into the kill button, but the kill button has two of its own wires, just tied into the same plug as the TORS wire. Hope this helps everyone.

Back