Clutch cover install and heelclickers.......... what are you guys using?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I've had clickers in my clutch now for years and it seems that every time I take the cover off the primary reinstalling it usually means tearing the bushing,even though I have a plate with a threaded rod I use to compress the cover and spring down.No matter how careful I am it never fails,the cover comes down as far as the shaft and I just can not seem to get the cover to start square to the shaft,7 times out of 10 I end up tearing a sliver out of the fiber bushing.I've looked around for long bolts,I figure if I could get the cover just to the edge of the shaft I could use longer bolts to get it started without it getting cockeyed and tearing but am not having much luck.How are those of you that have heelclickers and do your own clutch maintenance managing to get the cover on without damaging the bushing?

I have just what you have. a plate with threaded rod welded to it. I also welded handles on the nut with some round stock so I can turn it by hand without a wrench. I don't know if you're using a wrench or what but with the handles on the nut it makes it easy to keep the cover lined up good with one hand and tighten the nut with the other.

i have some bushings that i use and although its not 100%, it has improved my accuracy to at least 95+%. gave up on the cmp clutch compressor tool with the hc's, not enough throw.

the secondary clutch collar from anything pre-95 in the yamaha line up is a dead match for the outer edge on the main shaft on the primary. i set it inside a part i have from snap on that i have no idea on what it is or what its for, just something i had laying around in the head scratching efforts. snap on ACT-20. its a large collar that i encapsulate the other collar with along with the all thread(i actually use a 1/2" bolt thats 12" long vs the all thread.

slowly tighten things up and when your near the clutch shaft, i take a small ball peen hammer and center the snap on collar to match the outer edge of the clutch shaft. the two collars seem to work with each other to keep things centered. its an eyeball thing at this point. once aligned, the cover seems to just follow down until you can get the bolts to reach. of course this is all chucked up in the vice and i have several other spacers and washers to fill the difference between those long springs and the compression.

like i said, not 100%, but it seems to work for me.

Back