Throttle setting

newyamaha

Just picked up a 2001 Venture that was bogging when I opened the throttle. Pulled the carbs and cleaned them. When I reinstalled I realized I forgot to keep track of where the throttle cable was set. I have it where I think it belongs but now there is slack in the cable. Any help on where it should be set

there needs to be slack in the cable for the Throttle Override to work properly. I believe it call for 2-3mm freeplay. But what I would do is put your throttle to the handlebar with one hand and with the other check the cam where the cable connects to be sure it's at full throttle. If your cable is too tight it will kick the TORS on and the sled won't go anywhere.

Hi All... after cleaning the carbs and putting everything back together the sled started after a few turns.... problem is i have absolutely no throttle i can see that the cable is pulling as far down as I can see.... but nothing. I can rev it up with the cam but totally bogs with any RPM's. no idea.....

OK, I'm lost. You have no throttle( at the handlebars??) You can rev it up with the cam (on the carb rack??) but it totally bogs? Airbox have the baffle in it? Did you check the reeds while you had the carbs off?
Don't take this the wrong way but when people say they cleaned their carbs, they really didn't clean them like they should, and usually end up cleaning them a second time....correctly. Did you read through the FAQ section on how and what to clean? I don't know your skill level so......
Just trying to help.

Last edited:
I pulled the rack, opened the float bowl, removed the maid and pilot jets cleaned them. Also lifted the floats and sprayed the needles. After I put everything together I got the machine running no problem.... That is where my skill goes away. once the machine was started and running perfect I tried pressing the thump paddle and it dropped easily to the handle bar with no impact on the engine. i dismantled again, followed the cable from the thumb to where it connets under the carb rack and it seems to be doing its job. the secondary cable connected to a "cam" on the carb rack that when turned manually reved the engine to 3000 rpm's and then cut out. I'm assuming the tors kicked in. However what confuses me is the lack of thumb response... seems I missed something when I put it back together

I just replied to your other post and then saw this thread as well.

Sounds like the throttle cable may have popped out of the housing in the thumb flipper.

This is it, or you have a broken cable...
With the carb cam not turning, the dead giveaway is how easy the flipper hits the handlebars.

what an idiot I am.... you are correct... cable popped off the flipper. bypassed the tors and works like a charm.. I will mess with the tors later. time to drink. thanks much.

Back