86 Phazer intermittent spark

PhazerJake

Hey guys, after tearing the carbs apart multiple times on my sled, i figured out the problem. So the sled starts right up, idles great, and you can rev it a bit with no problems.. as soon as i try and drive it around though, it looses spark, sometimes on one cylinder, but most of the time on both cylinders. sometimes if i let it sit and idle for a bit, i get lucky and it will open up and rip across the field, but most of the time just completely dies until i let off the throttle, then it comes back to life. I have already bypassed the TORS, but want some advice on where to check first before i start replacing things blindly.

another note - pulled the clutch side plug wire and it idled great on the fan side, but when i switched that around, the clutch side didn't want to stay running, so i switched the clutch side plug wire over to the fan side and it reversed, the fan side didn't want to stay running.

one more thing- this has been gradually getting worse over the course of about 50 miles.

any help is greatly appreciated!

I found some specs for the ignition coil from an older thread and tried some tests but i couldn't get a reading unless i went from the metal clip in between the plug wires and to the orange wire, and there i was getting inconsistent readings from .5 ohms to 1.9 ohms. can anyone tell me what this means?

I have something similar going on, Jake. I posted in the Vintage forum but only crickets there. The coil is a transformer with a primary winding and a secondary winding. The orange wire (primary) is referenced to ground so thats why you see low ohms there. Mine too. The seccondary side, the plug wires, dont seem to reference directly to ground so I don't really know how to test them. I do get 13 K ohms from one wire to the other, through the 5k plug caps. Do you? My PTO side spart looks a lot weaker than the mag side.

I cannot seem to get any readings from plug wire to plug wire. I do not get a reading from orange wire to ground either. Yes, my pto side spark is not right but switching that plug wire to the other side moves the problem to the mag side.

Edit - now getting about 13 k ohm from wire to wire

Last edited:
Does that wire unscrew or pull off the coil? Or did you just move the plug cap ends from one to another?

Back