Question- 700 Redhead motor and SRX ignition

wayneo

I just purchased an SRX that had a 700 redhead motor installed in it. It appears that they used the complete SRX harness and CDI. Is this ignition compatible with this motor or will I have problems? I have seen this engine run and seems to run fine.

can you look at the cdi box and see what numbers are on it. Its likely the sx cdi box plugged into the srx harness, youd just have the extra plug for the powervalves there at cdi..

The # on the CDI box is 8DM001, The motor # is 8CH01, and the SRX chassis # is 8DN. I will have to look again, but I don't remember any extra plugs or wires. This motor came out of a 2001 Mountain Max, so maybe the harness was taken from that sled and used in the SRX.

I have used sx cdi boxs before when building full race srx and the sx box only has 2 plugs where as the 98-99 srx has 3, so they must have used the wiring harness as well as the sx box, you should be good to go!

My other 700 is out of a 98 or 99 Mtn Max and that CDI is a lot smaller box and only has two plugs. This CDI box is longer, and I'll have to look again, but I think it has three plugs. I just went on E-bay and looked up a box for a 2001 700 and that box only has two plugs and does not look like the box that was used. But it does look like the box on my other 700. The 700 SRX boxes on e-bay have three plugs.

Last edited:
nope it only has 2 plugs its off a 2001 redhead engine, its the right one your good to go.

the srx hads 8dn cdi and the srx600 had 8df, thats why i asked you for the number off the box................

Back