moving engine

ranks

I put a new drive belt on and got a squeal at idle. Seems to be riding about the right height in the secondary. CTC distance measurement is 14-9/16" instead of 14-3/8" so it looks like my engine needs to move toward the rear by 3/16". Looks fairly simple.

1. Scribe lines on front motor mounts at the existing location
2. Loosen airbox
3. Loosen four engine mounts
4. Move engine 3/16" rearward from scribe marks, making sure to maintain parallelism.
5. Tighten bolts.

Sound right?

Dont worry about that 3/16 yet. The belt squeal is common with new belt as it tends to be tight. There are 3 bolts with washers on the back of the secondary. Try removing the washers and replace belts and see if it stops. This alows the belt to sit a hair lower in the seconday. This is the prefer'd fix for this problem. If it does just keep and eye on belt deflection, as the belt wears in you may have to replace the washers. Or do as i do and just live with it till new belt wears in a bit.

perfect post by super1c, i don,t know if i would want to be moving a motor on a vmax4 where belt center and deflection is very critical. now if this is a 750 secondary those washers will be inside. they are for this very reason. 3:16 (yammie tony)

I put a new drive belt on and got a squeal at idle. Seems to be riding about the right height in the secondary. CTC distance measurement is 14-9/16" instead of 14-3/8" so it looks like my engine needs to move toward the rear by 3/16". Looks fairly simple.

1. Scribe lines on front motor mounts at the existing location
2. Loosen airbox
3. Loosen four engine mounts
4. Move engine 3/16" rearward from scribe marks, making sure to maintain parallelism.
5. Tighten bolts.

Sound right?

Yes.

IMO, the only reason i'd pull washers and drop the belt is when it's not a perf sled. I run all of mine just above the driven, even on my bearcat driven. From that you gear and clutch. With running tall in the driven, your clutch weight has more effect, you don't "wack" your roller with the weight, you don't shock your track / spin.

Yes Yammiegod it's a 750.
Yes Turch it's the factory 8BU.
Old belt measures 1.338" wide x 52.5" long
New belt measures 1.450 wide x 52.75" long (going from memory haven't got my notebook here)

The new belt was sitting correctly in the secondary...just a little high. I already removed all washers from under the screw heads on both the inboard n outboard side of the secondary with no effect.

Back