700 red head bad mileage and max 7500 rpm

ualav8

VIP Member
I have a 99 venture 700. It gets awful mileage- around 5 mpg. At times it runs fine- 8500 rpm and around 90 mph. Other times it will only get to 7500 rpm and max 60mph. It comes and goes. One run it's slow and the other it revs normally and goes fast. Is the mileage and rpm issue interrelated? I'm thinking the rpm issue is a clutching problem. Would that effect the fuel consumption? It has about 3500 miles on it. Gonna look at the plugs and go thru the carbs when the season ends. Thoughts??

better check all your clutch bushings,binding going on there.I am getting around 10 mpg on my SXR600 with 144 track..I used to get 12 to 13 before with 121 track..If my sled got 5 mpg.I would set it aside or take a gun to it..lol

all of them really..total of 4.Also check the ramp buttons in the 2ndary if they are worn or missing.Also can check weight bushings if they rotate nice.Basically everything must be in perfect shape from bushings,Springs,buttons,belt,center to center..etc.Just do a total re build and you might be surprised with the results.

Ok thanx for the info I will check them over maybe if doesn't cost to much I will by all new parts and do a rebuild...got any clue on how much parts for total rebuild would cost?

Start by pulling the clutches off and taking them apart and inspect and clean, I clean my clutches a couple times a season.

I recently purchased a 1999 Yamaha VMax 600 Deluxe and it is doing this exact same thing. My sled will do about 60 mph and top,out at 8,000 rpm before starting to back down to 7,500 rpm. Do you need a special tool to work on the clutch?

you will need a clutch removal bolt and not a cheap one as they can end up bending inside and you are screwed.Yamaha sells same,had mine for so long and seems like countless times I have removed clutches and no issues.

Back