96 vmax 600xt wet spark pulgs

yammi1332

Hi, i purchased this sled awhile back and have been trying to figure this problem out for some time now, the sled starts up in 1 pull, drives like it should, but when i take the spark plugs out there wet with fuel. the float level looks right, new needles in seats and i have cleaned the carbs a couple times already. i had it at WOT and hit the kill switch, pulled the plugs, the bottoms are dry but i have fuel on the outside threads of the plug. when i pull the boost bottle off fuel drips out of it. i also pulled the pulse line off after running it for awhile, its kinda wet but there's nothing coming out of it. should i just drive it? ive only put 12 miles on it sense ive bought it so im dying to take it out so any advice would be great.

Last edited:

Fuel dripping out of the boost bottle is not a good sign.
How are you setting the float levels?
i did exactly what the service
bulletin said and set it at 24 mm. i set it from the gasket surface to the tip of the float without compressing the sping in the needle valve. i shouldn't of said new needles in seats, i found them on a set of 94 vmax 600 carbs, the needles look like new and the ones on it before were junk. my main jets are 152.5 and the pilots are 50, which i believe are the stock sizes. thanks for the help

I'm not familiar with this powertrain but 12 miles in one outing is barely enough time to get it up to operating temps, let alone a few rides. Multiple starts without, or barely reaching operating temps can cause a collection fuel/oil in the intake and airbox. I think you may be over cautious. If the recommended jets are installed and it idles well, I'd suggest putting some miles on it.

No the seats are not new but they are in good shape compared to the ones in it before. I filled it to a quater tank and it lasted about 10 miles, but I was driving in deep powder. I guess i'll go get some gas and take it for a ride today and see how it goes. One other thing, would be ok if I put a exhaust pipe on it from a 94 vmax? Because my other one has a crack in it. Thanks for all the help

check the choke plungers, they are likely leaking and making it rich.

I assume you checked and it has the correct size jets right..........??

check the choke plungers, they are likely leaking and making it rich.

I assume you checked and it has the correct size jets right..........??
the jets are the stock sizes. how do you tell if the choke plungers are leaking? the cable seems really loose. i have the Y pipe and put it on today,once i get the other one welded up i'll put it back on.

I guess I'll hold off with putting the 94 pipe on. I wasent able to get my other one welded so i put some jb weld on it,not sure if it will hold up but I'll find out this weekend when I go riding. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
JB weld does NOT work on exhaust. it turned brown and started to burn, so i guess i'll pull off the exhaust and scrape it off and weld it, and it kinda has a boggy low end now. i had a 52.5 pilot jet in it before and it accelerated great so i think i might put them back in.

This thread is kinda old but anyways. i filled my sled up with gas and a full tank only lasted 25 miles!!!! there's something definitely wrong here. ive checked about everything and the only thing that didn't seem right was the choke cables. I looked at some diagrams of the carbs and there's suppose too be a little rubber cap that go's on the choke cable near the plunger, which i don't have. would this cause it to drink gas like crazy? the choke is the only thing i can think of. im not sure how or what its suppose to be adjusted to, so it could be way off for all I know. The snows going fast so any help would great.

Back