1998 Yamaha VMax SX 700 Speedo not working and loud grinding noise

lil3incher

Rushoon, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
I recently purchased a 1998 Yamaha VMax SX 700, The sled is in good shape considering the year, The guy I bought it off of said he recently replaced all bearing in the suspension, while he had everything removed he said he checked the driveshaft bearings and he never felt any play so he never replaced them, When I went for my first run on the machine, there was a load grinding noise right under my feet, Can feel jumping when the clutch engages, Feels like the drive sprocket is slipping, but I checked it and its not slipping, Track tension is good, I also noticed that the speedo isn't working either, I read that this could be a sign of the driveshaft bearings getting worn, Is this a common issue or did anyone else run across this before, Any help would be great

Soundls like a drive shaft bearing. Easy fix if this is the case. Start by taking off the speedo assembly below the secondary clutch and see if the speedo key is broke. I'm guessing it is. You can also inspect bearing while there. Check it out and see what you find and post back.

You better have a talk with the guy you bought it from.

Back