New to the forum, advice in adding reverse and e start to 1996 phazer mountain lite

phazer kid

I did search the forum for info before posting as required. I did find a few posts but nothing that was explained in detail for what I was looking for.
So...........I am hoping with help from my fellow Yamaha riders, I'll be able to get some great advice.

First off I feel I scored huge. I have been looking for a gently used late 90's phazer mountain lite. I live in Ontario Canada and with that, I had a tall order before me. However, I found this 1996 Phazer Mountain Lite for sale at a Yamaha dealer within an hours drive through a tip from a friend. It was absolutely mint. I got it from the original selling dealer. An old farmer bought it and just rode it around his property. The sled has 717km on the odometer. That's not a miss print. This sled is hardly broken in. Clean clean clean! This is a sled I will have for many yrs to come. However id like to add a few creature comforts.

Can someone help me out with making this sled into one with a reverse and electric start???

Here is what Im asking, I have been told a 1991-1998 Yamaha venture reverse chain case will fit into my phazer Lt with minimal effort and mods.
I was informed I will also need the venture jack shaft, and of course reverse chain case to make this happen. Is this correct information???

If so, can someone point me in the right direction in regards to a step by step process. Im pretty handy with the tools but want to make sure I have the right stuff before disassembly and reassembly!

As for the electric start, My sled looks like it has everything for an elect start upgrade but the battery and starter motor. The battery tray is there, looks like there is a rectifier along with what looks like the wiring as well. The ignition switch looks correct as well.

Does anyone know how these sleds came equipped from factory in regards to adding options later? I know I will need the starter and battery, but what about the flywheel? Did the phazers come with the toothed flywheel if a starter was to be added at a later time?

Thanks to all in advance who reply! Photos or videos would be great.

Thanks again

Phazer Kid

Welcome.

Can't really give you much advice about all you want to do - I would just suggest you go through the drive/jack shaft bearings while you have the chaincase apart regardless of how clean or low mileage. Sounds like nice sled but sitting all that time takes a toll on the drive bearings, especially if the track tension wasn't loosened during storage.

Enjoy the new ride

Yes the venture or et410 chain case will work in there. There is a thread about an et410 chain case dissasembly buy invukis ( I think that is his name). As to the e start, I would pull the cover off of the fan housing under the y pipe to check for ring gear. Might be in there already like my et was.

I have the chain case and motor from a venture in my garage ATM but they are under a pile of stuff and are my spares for bros phazer and my et. I can look at stuff for you but have never taken the chain case lid off on my et as I have never had to do anything but adjust the chain since I bought it new in 1999.

Thanks, I will definitely get to going over the sled in terms of bearings etc. The sled was used each year. But just to run around a 100 acre farm. It apparently didn't just sit. Even though the sled is fairly lite, it would be nice to have reverse.

Thanks for replying.

Yes the venture or et410 chain case will work in there. There is a thread about an et410 chain case dissasembly buy invukis ( I think that is his name). As to the e start, I would pull the cover off of the fan housing under the y pipe to check for ring gear. Might be in there already like my et was.

I have the chain case and motor from a venture in my garage ATM but they are under a pile of stuff and are my spares for bros phazer and my et. I can look at stuff for you but have never taken the chain case lid off on my et as I have never had to do anything but adjust the chain since I bought it new in 1999.

Thanks for the reply. I am actively searching for a reverse case with the jack shaft. Thanks

Back