Offset timing key & trail porting on a trail runner

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
As I was tearing my 01 SRX down to have the crank sent away for a rod replacement I found that the timing key was an offset one and being that this was a former drag racer I guess it isn't all that surprising.What I'd like to know is is there any advantage to having it in there with the trail ported cylinders where this sled is mainly a trail runner now?I'll be leaving the ported cylinders on there as well as the bored carbs,I'm just not sure that the offset timing key is really necessary.I do have a standard one I could put.

Advance keys are usually used when you want a little more response off idle(more timing advance will gain bottom end) if sled is geared and clutched "trail friendly" the bottom end gain wil aid in roll on power. BUT be careful not to get carried away !! if engine is close to its max compression for whatever fuel you are running you can risk the chance of detonation.
With higher compression and too much advance and / or too low of octane fuel you can burn any type of engine down.
Bottom line . If you want a trail setup and detonation is not an issue then Yes I would advance it.
You wont gain much, if any hp, but response will be crisper off idle and lower rpm roll on.
Make sure you have an experienced tuner check it out!!

Back