Pipe clearance issue

YooperMike

In the process of fixing my hang idle, I noticed something very wrong with my new-to-me SLP pipes. At 1/2 turn right the idler arm hits the mag side pipe! I can fully turn to the right, but the pipes shove up an inch or two upon doing so as the idler arm pushes on the pipe. I know I don't have all of the correct springs, so it probably sits a little lower than it should. But even with pulling up on the pipes as much as I can, it still hits. What have I done wrong? I didn't notice this when we installed them, everything seemed fine. The can appears to be sitting in the correct spot, not leaning forwards. Anyone else run into this? I don't know if it could be from the aftermarket front end, maybe that changed the geometry on how far the idler arm rotates forward when turning right? Comments?

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 17
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 18
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 19

Run into a few pipes did not fit right because flanges where put on up side down.

i would give timbersled a call and see if they have any input, but the idler shouldnt have changed with the addition of the aftermarket parts. next would b a call to slp. both companies are great and easy to deal with.

Run into a few pipes did not fit right because flanges where put on up side down.
I called SLP and that's the first thing their tech guy asked. I'll have to pull them off tomorrow but I'm 99% sure the flanges were put on to match the port. I'm also going to order all new springs.

If they are upside down, the port will be noticeably covered. Looking at the one pic, it loks like there is some exhaust leaking out at the top of the flange. This could be caused by the flanges being upside down or something else not quite right with how the pipes are sitting in the chasis

Well ladies and gents, I have run into a live and learn situation. This usually equals money and/or time needed to correct stupid mistakes, in this case both. I pulled my pipes off yesterday to look into my issue and found some carnage. I believe looking at the flanges that they are on the right way, someone please tell me if I'm wrong. However, without all of the correct install pieces (heat shields, belly pan stand-off, and springs) I melted the $hi% out of my plastics on the recoil side and some meltage where the PTO pipe was rubbing. At this point all I can do is laugh at myself and say it's custom fit. I think the exhaust leakage (which you can really see in the flange pic) is due to the bad/loose fitment and not using enough sealant. I ordered the correct parts from SLP yesterday and I'll be going for round two of redneck garage on Saturday. Lots of cleaning to do in there also...

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 5
Got my junk back together today. It's amazing that with all the right parts and new springs the difference there is. I do still however have a very slight rub on the pipe with the idler arm at full turn. Don't know what else to do.

Got my junk back together today. It's amazing that with all the right parts and new springs the difference there is. I do still however have a very slight rub on the pipe with the idler arm at full turn. Don't know what else to do.
Yep those pipes hit ! mine do also (,but just when i turn), you'll have to take em off and dent it in a little then weld a piece of metal over it, otherwise it will wear thru! Thats the story of...thats the glory of...aftermarket!

Back