84.3 mph

2nd run
changed to green sec. spring@90 wrap
52/44
everything else same as above
84.5 mph

what the heck am I doing wrong?
got beat by a 1998 600 srx by 24mph

better check your drive line bearings and skid bearings and shims.Inspect all clutch's good..(ie) bushings..and also check the power valves if they are opening properly.Maybe throw in a new belt first and see if anything changes.

Check spark plugs
Check spark plug boots
Check powervalves and motor assy.
Check compression.

Comp. 118 I have checked everything else. I looked at power valve thread and I made a tester to open serve but it says there is only 2 wires in the 3wire test port but mine has 3 wires in it 2 red and i1 black. Which red one do ii use?

wrong sec spring, and way too much wrap.

the silver is way too stiff for radar running.

Any suggestions? Mrviper700 I pmd you

Last edited:
anyone? I got one radar run left before I tear it down and turn it into an improver for next year.

first thing you need to do is go out and get a notebook, pen and start testing and taking notes. Nobody is gonna be able to give you a set up and you go out and "win" without testing. I would suggest that you stick to stock first and get familiar with what changes what in clutching and set up before you jump into a improved stock sled, as the tuning becomes harder the further you modify the sled.

for radar running your not going to run a stiff sec spring wound tight, your gonna want a very soft rear spring like the red dot secondary set up very soft and you "walk" the sled out easy on the gas so you dont suck the belt in the secondary. You want to be on the track for a longer duration to build mph, not a drag race. When you use a soft sec set up your primary has to be set up to run the correct rpm with a soft sec. set up so your front clutch weights are usually lighter.

only 1 way to find out what works for the right rpm and best mph, test,test,test, take notes so you know what to change and what rpm/mph you got with a paticular set up.

so do you think stock setup is the best set up to start out with? I had a 97 500 that i ran for a couple of years and did very well, I ended up with a consistent 94-96mph in 1000' and did pull a 98.5mph with good conditions, i did lots of testing with it and a notebook full of results for certain clutching setup,s, I know i will have to test alot but I just need a place to start and usually stock is for trail riding, this is my first triple, thats why i am asking so many questions, there isn't alot of testing time before sat. also, do you think 100 plus mph is possible with a 600srx in 1000'

Last edited:
a srx600 can certainly top more then a 100mph in 1000ft stock class, its all in the set up, not only in the clutchs and gearing but in the overall driveline, you need to remove parasetic drag. I know someone who has a srx600 that runs 108.27mph in the nssr 1000ft series. Obviously your not going to go right out and run 108-109mph or even 105mpg right off the bat, but it takes weeks and months of testing to get there.

If your a good tuner yopu should break the high 97-99mph or even the 100mph mark if your keeping notes and getting the power thru the clutchs,chaincase and to the ground.

You should go out to the lake,plow a strip, mark off a 1000ft and start testing with a radar gun. if you got beat by 24mph, your way off somewhere. Like i said the sec set ups are the biggest thing that sticks out to me on your previous post, your not gonna have high mph with a tight secondary clutch or a stiff sec spring.

The guy with the best notes wins!

I think you are talking about jeremy reid from nssr, he's the one that beat me, I just had a guy set my power valves tonight, he said they were not set properly, two of the three cables were tight, I am assuming that was alot of my problem, with them now set right, that should help me with my clutching, now the work begins, would a heelclicker system work for an srx, I have a chance to work with one on my sled.

I think you are talking about jeremy reid from nssr, he's the one that beat me, I just had a guy set my power valves tonight, he said they were not set properly, two of the three cables were tight, I am assuming that was alot of my problem, with them now set right, that should help me with my clutching, now the work begins, would a heelclicker system work for an srx, I have a chance to work with one on my sled.

ya Reids have the 600 and the 700 srx.

I would stick with the weights you have and work with that 47/41 helix, start using a red sec spring and play with differnt settings, walk the sled out of the hole easy(roll on slowly) you dont smash the gas at the start. your gearing looks good, play with differnt clutch springs and the rivets to get your rpm like 8000 at the beginning and let the rpm build to 8300/8400rpm by the end.

Back