speedo needly keeps breaking

innomob

HEy Guys

So im having an issue with my 2001 mountain max 700 . I have changed all the bearings in the chaincase and the bearings on the jack shaft and secondary shaft . Replaced my speedo needle as it was broken . Tested it on a stand after everything was re assembled and the speedo worked great . Went for one ride and the speedo cut out again . I took the speedo cup off to check and the needle was broken again .. Anyone have any idea what may be happening ??

You mentioned changing all the chaincase and jackshaft bearings but did you change the bearing on the end of the drive shaft where the speedo hooks up? When my polaris did this there was something in the wire that ran to the speedo, it wouldn't turn smoothly and caused me to break alot of speedo pins. can you spin the wire by hand without any binding?

your meter is bad , i ve been thru a few of them, the thing is is that the meter is all plastic inside and they wear, you can take it out and it will indeed turn free by hand but its shot! ...you need a new meter housing!

No he means the 90 degree drive on the end of the axle. There are no bearings in there, just bushings and I believe the gears are bronze. If it wasn't kept up being greased there's not much in there that's forgiving.

Back