took er for a spin

cityboy2977

not the first time ive been out on it(700sx). but with a new belt it is a much better experience. only scooted around for 15 miles or so but she seemed to respond pretty good. ill go further and further the more i trust this machine....especially riding alone with no cell phone.
from a stand still and gunning it she went to 60mph @ 8500RPM's in maybe 300 foot or less. took it to a top speed of 90mph @ just under 9000RPM's before i backed off.....roads are icy and not much control. might take er down to the lake tomorrow when there is more light. and try to fix the exhaust leak before i do

i still have a lot to learn about this machine and have to do some test and tuning. many more questions to come. first i need to wrap my head around clutch adjustments.

the donut is still in one piece. i think i need to nab a can of copper gasket, and some new springs may be needed. i dont know the proper set up but the previous owner had 4 smaller weak looking springs off the manifold. where pipe goes into the can, that joint was wrapped and a couple hose clamps installed. looked terrible.
this machine was neglected and it seems it is mostly the easy lil stuff that wasnt fixed.....i dont get some folks thought process.

I have used the orange ultra copper (in a tube) to "build" up a wearing out donut gasket with success. In this weather you need to have it in-doors or leave a heat lamp on it over night. If it freezes instead of cures when you fire sled up it thaws into a real nice mess from what I have heard.

ill give it a couple days to at least get up to 10 degrees.:brr
after some reading i believe a 60watt flood bulb will keep the pipe toasty till sealer dries.
hands got cold fast yesterday zippin over to Big Twin at 60mph.....might need some guards to keep a lil wind off the digits.

I've repaired the donut as we'll. Take and unroll a wad of steel wool. Cut one long strip approx 1/2" wide. Wrap that around the donut. Through the middle, around, through the middle etc etc till you've made it all the way around. Work the copper coat into the mesh with fingers. And wa-lah your done. I haven't priced out a donut lately but remember they are stupid pricey.

I've repaired the donut as we'll. Take and unroll a wad of steel wool. Cut one long strip approx 1/2" wide. Wrap that around the donut. Through the middle, around, through the middle etc etc till you've made it all the way around. Work the copper coat into the mesh with fingers. And wa-lah your done. I haven't priced out a donut lately but remember they are stupid pricey.

Bought same one he is talking about the year before last (straight up lost the one that was in there......found it two days later) Aftermarket......$28!

You are over revving. Peak on these engines is like 8200rpm. You can rev higher for your peak if you are piped. If you want it to be a little more snappy, gear the top sprocket down a little.

Got out there to look for that bumper and couldn't find it. I have developed issues in the winter time just chucking stuff around and not really putting it back. If you still need it come spring or at least a day around 40 degerees I will be out there cleaning and putting stuff away.

right on Devil. no big hurry since i have several things to fix on this machine.....before next winter ;)
put about 25 miles on it today. rode some trails and hit some straight a ways. now with new belt i need new secondary bolts. had belt backwards, turned it the right way and she started squealing, even stalled it. checked the bolts on the bench and they are wore down to the threads.

Back