'01 SXR 700 Tach and hot light working intermitently

Jumpmaster

Any ideas on where to look for the cause of of these issues? I've kinda glanced over the obvious connections and looked a bit to see if I could find any bare/cracked wires. Sled runs great and its not overheating but the red/hot light blinks 3 times sometimes while riding just like it does to tell you its working when it's first started. The Tach started out only not working on initial cold start but then seemed to be ok while riding, but now it jumps on and off all the time while riding bouncing all over...

I was kinda hoping these where known issues and maybe someone could point me in the right direction to look for the cause. I don't know if it has any bearing on the whole thing but earlier this season the temperature sensor broke and was indicating it was hot when it wasn't. So I replaced the sensor with a new one and that cured that problem but it was then that i started having issues with the tach not working. The temp light flashing just started last weekend....

Thanks for any help!

temp light issue could be associated with the wires leading into the plug. seen it many times on the 01 and up redheads.

as for the tach, i would be looking at the wiring leading to the cdi box as well as from the cdi box down to the connection point near the hood hinge.

Back