Engine swap or Repair - two engines I found may fit???

tripplec

Hi

I blew the right cylinder somehow. Likely the Smart Carb Went dumb and ran lean but there is no compression in it. I either fix it at currently unknown cost or maybe swap the motor with something that good and working.

Are either of these a viable seamless fit for the Venture 600. Note the twin does not come with carbs but my existing pair should fit. I does look different to my engine and the clutch is much bigger it seems.

Any technical help is appreciated I am out on a limb here and trying to figure out a means of getting the Venture operational again. I need something that will use what I have and or already come with it.

Below a VMAX 600 1999 engine, also a SRX 700 Triple Blue top.

vmax600.gifSRX700.gif

Last edited:

I am 98% sure any 1999 600's were triples, not twins. I am also 98% sure 97 and 98 600 twins will bolt right in, 96 and older are quite a project (some would say it cant be done) Maybe a twin guy can chime in and confirm? As far as the 1999 SRX motor that's a little bit of a project as well. You would need everything under the hood motor wise, would need to change gearing in chain case and I believe you would need to modify the belly pan for clearance of triple pipes.

I'm in ottawa, I have a 700 triple engine for sale.
muradage.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That 600 twin has a comet or arctic cat clutch or something on it. Also why is the head painted? What engine is currently in ur venture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the OEM 600 twin. Its aluminum top which is bare. No colour at all but a label as I recall saying 600. No power train mods etc. Only mod I did was upgrade from the steel skis to dual runner plastic. The steels cause me to jump far to often onto oncoming tracks or towards a maple tree. It was scary the way it could jump left to right. However I don't have any such problem now since its grounded. Almost 3 weekends of riding for the DOT sticker, insurance and OFSC pass & that's it for this year. This is more and more an expensive sport even with an older classic sled.

I have already found out it won't fit for a variety of reason. A lot of modifications would have to be done especially electrical as well as mechanical.

Thanks anyway for the reply. I was an ideal but I don't need the power of a 700 but will have to find out what my existing repair is going to cost now. The carbs are the most difficult being smart and so much there to disassemble. I may have to have someone go over them that knows what they're doing but from what I've seen on replacing a piston, wrist pin, head and gaskets it not that difficult although my torque wrench is quite likely inadequate as I used it around 110 ft/lbs for my lug nut and working with it down 30ft/lbs or less seems poorly suited. But another tool to buy is not a big deal.

I am 98% sure any 1999 600's were triples, not twins...
Roughly 2% of 1999 600's were twins, and 98% (aaahhh, roughly) of 1999 600's were triples. :)
Actually, those percentages may be fairly close, as the twin may have only been available in the standard Vmax.

tripplec said:
Are either of these a viable seamless fit for the Venture 600. Note the twin does not come with carbs but my existing pair should fit. I does look different to my engine and the clutch is much bigger it seems...
If that Vmax 600 in your pic is a good engine, that may be your answer. The head was likely painted by a prior owner, maybe to mimic the redhead triples or maybe it matched the original sled. Besides the color of the head and the non-Yamaha primary clutch, what else are you seeing that looks different from your engine?
If it is a good engine for a fair price, buy it and use your primary clutch, sell the other to help make a few bucks back. You can also use your water/oil pump setup, and even your stator, which I would probably consider doing anyway if it was a known good part.

You could also just use the other engine for the parts you need. If you only need a cylinder, piston, and the head, pull them off and swap over to yours, although if you have no compression in one hole, you likely have metal pieces in your crankcase, even if they are tiny or not-so-tiny. These can get in your crank bearings, and if they are big enough they can get caught between the rod and the bottom of the case and create a crack resulting in an air leak and another burndown.

Whichever route you go, if your engine and/or the replacement engine/parts have 3k-4k miles or more, you will want to consider a new set of rings for the pistons, and while your at it might as well measure the pistons and cylinders for wear. If you don't have one, a service manual would be a good investment for you regardless of which route you go. You can join as a VIP member of this site and then request the manual from one of the moderators, they'll send you a link for an electronic version.

Ok, it took me a while to find this thread. I got my top end rebuilt in the end and just picked it up today. Raining like the geese and swans are having a party here. Plenty around here many winter it seems.

The piston was severely scored as was the cylinder. the cylinder had to be cut in half to get the piston out. A bearing failed at the piston I am told and a piece blew out by the piston pin off the piston.

All done now and waiting for snow but that appears next year now with the 6" we did have all washed away.

Just the piston but the head was just as bad and would not come off the piston on its own.

Got the machine back and got stuck in a drift, reversing to get out and a stud took out the heat exchanger.

I highly recommend you don't use studs because like me it will get you one day especially on this design its pretty much a sure thing and you are stuck.

Back to see if an economic repair is possible for this money pit. The hole is big one.

Attachments

• 20141227_112750_resized.jpg
    20141227_112750_resized.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20141227_112740_resized.jpg
    20141227_112740_resized.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20141227_112730_resized.jpg
    20141227_112730_resized.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Back