1998 VMax XTC 700 vs. 2001 SXR 700

albernhagen

Any recommendation between these 2? Both around 5k miles. The 98 is $1400 asking and the 2001 is $1900. I'm not sure of the full difference between the 2.

Thanks!
Andy

If the 2001 has dual headlights, get that for sure. Both are going to be long travel, but I think the XTC has steel bodied non-rebuildable shocks (I think). Whereas the 2001 SXR will have aluminum bodied rebuildable shocks for sure. That's pretty much the difference between the two... the headlights & shocks. The 2001 if it's a 2001 has a different coil system. They upgraded the electrical in 2001, that's why there's dual headlights. They both have redhead motors, (or at least they should).

Thanks for the info. Looks like the 01 does have dual headlights. What advantages does the aluminum shock offer over the steel?

I believe the XTC's came with the rebuildable aluminum body shocks, and in 1999 the DLX's started coming with the steel body shocks. Anything can be changed after all these years though. It is easy to tell the two types apart, the steel body shocks are painted black and have a stepped spring adjuster, the aluminum body shocks are silver or other metallic-ish color (sometimes yellowing with age) and have threads cut into the shock body with spanner nuts to adjust the spring.
Overall, I would think the XTC suspension would be tuned softer than the SXR, but again after all these years the shocks likely could use a rebuild.

A couple other differences besides those stated above: the SXR has larger easier to read gauges (2 separate large round gauges rather than 1 gauge unit that has 2 smaller round gauges within); and the XTC came with steel skis with plastic skins whereas the SXR came with all-plastic skis. If the XTC is actually an XTC-P, then it came with plastic skis as well, and a deeper lug track (1.5").

Back