2001 SX700 R way Loud

Rebmo

Totally stock and just over 3000mi on the ODO, my 2001 SXR is way ear piercing loud. My ears ring after 40-60 mile rides and I hate to open it up with it being so freaking loud. Is this just the nature of the beast, or should I be looking at exhaust gasket leakage? I enjoy the sled which I bought used and have only put about 500mi on it this year. But I may need to were hearing protection to be able to ride comfortably. If I could tame the noise I would stick with the sled which otherwise is fantastic for the vintage.

Any suggestions? Reb

These sleds are slightly loud, especially the carb noise. If the intake foam is missing or replaced with differant material, this can be your noise. Another possibility is someone drilled the exaust can.

Thanks alswagg,

One of the intake foam pieces came loose and I put it on my bench to be re-glued later when it warms up (it never did here in Wisconsin). I had no idea that may impact noise levels. I'll get that back in place and see if the sound is bearable again. Any suggestions on an adhesive I can use in colder weather, or should I just wait? I do remember reading some postings on driling the exhaust can for more power. I'll search that and see if it was done. If so I'll weld a piece back in to save my hearing. I'd take less loud over performance with the shrill I'm experiencing. I'll post back after I dig into this.

Thanks for the great suggestions,

Reb

These sleds are slightly loud, especially the carb noise. If the intake foam is missing or replaced with differant material, this can be your noise. Another possibility is someone drilled the exaust can.

I just inspected the exhaust can. First I searched and found the "drill" mod is taking a 1" or 2" hole saw and sticking it up the exhause outlet and drilling out a baffle, is that correct? If so I can stick a 10" large flathead screwdriver up the exhaust outlet without obstruction. Although I did not detect any evidence of a drilled out baffle. Otherwise how can I deterimine if the drill mod has been done on the exhaust?

Thanks, Reb

If you can't see an obvious drilled hole inside the can, it is probably OEM. The OEM foam in the hood just set's in the cowl. The foam over the air box is Glued by Yamaha. I have used hot melt glue the resecure. Good luck Al

Thanks Al,

I did find a picture and description of the CAN Drill Mod and the instruction require a 12" drill extension and my screwdriver was at most 10" so I may not have been detecting the "drill" openning or edges left. I will have to jack up the sled to get anything longer up the pipe. So it may be modded, not sure. I did play the sound clip in the posting http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/silencer_boring.htm , and the exhaust does sound raspy like the sound clip. I don't think I'll have any luck patching the drill out, so if anyone has a stock can (not drilled) I'd be interested. I need to verify the drill out but likely it's drilled.

Also, the foam piece that was loose on mine is about 3/4" square by about 10" and I dont' think it's the foam cover over the airbox. It's dark now and the sled's outside so I'll have to look at it tomorrow, but I believe the airbox foam you mention is intact.

I'll post tommorrow after I get the sled jacked up and the can drill verified, and check the intake foam. I assume the foam strip I mention only is part of the surround for the intake an will not affect noise levels.

Reb

OK, I checked the Exhaust Can and it's not drilled.

For those who may ever want to check this without removing the Can......... I used a tape measure and stuck it up the outlet pipe and got to about 12" and hit a obstruction which I assumed was a baffle. Still not certain I looked for a mirror and couldn't find one. I then took my Samsung Galaxy S3 and used the camera on full zoom and flash and put it up under the outlet and shot a pic. Did a decent job of revealing what I could not see. So a "drilled Can does not appear to be my issue".

The foam over the air intake is intact, just a strip is missing (see the pic with the glue spots where one of the foam strips is missing). I don't know that this is the culprit. I assume the suggested "missing foam" is the actual foam over the intake which is intact per this picture.

Maybe this sled is just super loud and that's the way it is. It has a shrill that just kills my ears. I am going to use ear plugs next time I ride it, but I don't like that since I like to hear what others are saying when we stop, and it's hard enough without removing the helmet.

Any other thoughts on quieting it down would be appreciated.

Reb

20140310_173222.jpg20140310_173450.jpg

It might be easier to remove the muffler. It only takes a minute. You just have to unhook a few springs.

What about the foam in the hood, That must be installed as well. All of the carb noise is projected back at you on a SXR

If your exhaust donuts are leaking you can pull it all apart and put a bead of copper rtv on the faces and put it all back together. I just had to do it on my indy sks because the U pipe was leaking bad and it was crazy loud. The stuff is rated to 700 degrees and has held up well so far.

do the exhaust can have a hole in it anywhere else? my cousin just had his 99 sx blow a hole in the can and it was super loud. also burnt the body panel...

How many miles are on it. In time the cans can burn out and they will just be loud, it is what it is. My polaris with 12,600 miles on it is still loud after I fixes the leak, it just is what it is.

it shouldnt be THAT loud. mine is missing its foam, but its not very loud. i would say that it sounds good. you probably need some new exhaust gaskets. that or look for a hole somewhere. my first thought was the silencer mod { 2 inch holesaw}. but you say its not done. gotta be leakin somewhere.

Back