Hitch

EagleJason

I have a SX 700F (SXR), 01, and I need a hitch. I have a bumper hitch, however it's hard on the bumper. I called the Yamaha dealer and they said they quit making hitches for this machine in 04 when they quit making the machine. The aftermarket companies don't have hitches for Yamaha's that I've been able to find as they do for the other brands. One major concern is that the heat exchanger on the 700 runs right to the back of the machine, i can see the plumbing for it by the bumper.
Does anyone have a hitch that works? In addition to this, i haul wood (up to 1/3 cord at a time), water, garbage, kids, groceries with this machine, commute and even haul supplies to remote locations for work. I also use it to play. I'd like to keep it as I really like the suspension set up and the redhead motor, however I MUST be able to haul with it for it to be useful to me.
Does anyone have a strong hitch idea that has worked without damaging the heat exchanger?

Boy o boy your askin for trouble if you think you can haul anything with that type of sled! It wont take much to make that motor overheat!

There was a tow bumper or racks that a hitch would bolt to, but nothing was listed for an SXR, but some listed for V-Max or Venture which I think would work - but you would have to make sure on that. Do a google search for 8EB-77541-00-00 bumper.
Pin hitch 84R77592-00-00
Hook hitch 86D-77591-00-00
I think the dealer was giving you a line.

Thanks PZ. I've been towing with it since October when i got it and have hauled many cords of wood, hundreds of gallons of water plus trash, groceries and kids.
my problem has been getting a decent hitch. I'm using a modified ski doo one right now, but it's damaging my bumper.

I have seen a few "home made" or "home made to work" versions. Just plates running the inside of the tunnel with 4-6 mounting bolts (2-3 per side) with a cross bar at the back. You could check with the different trailer/sleigh companies (ski-boose...etc) and see if they make a compatible hitch for your sled. Once your happy with the hitching side of things you may want to lower your gearing (in the chain case) to give you a little more low end grunt. This will slow you down a little bit at wide open throttle BUT I hope you not trying to haul all that at 100 miles an hour.

kimpex makes (or used to) a nice sturdy one that bolts to tunnel under seat and clamps on bumper.

I have gone down to the hardware store and fabricated one out of a large hinge. Probably a small barn door hinge. The large triangular/pyramidal part will get bolted to the sled under the seat. Watch out for the heat exchanger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back