Storing sleds in covered trailer................... use sled covers or not?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I know it may be a little early yet to talk about storage but I was thinking about this the other day and thought I'd post this to see what you guys think.I've always stored my sled inside my work shed until I bough my second and my clamshell trailer,so last spring I washed the sleds down,let them dry and sprayed fluid film over much of the metal parts.I them put the covers over the sleds and closed the lid for the summer.When I pulled the sleds out everything seemed to be ok,slimy from the fluid film but otherwise ok,but when I started to do my pre season stuff I started to notice a little corrosion in places that never had it before.One of the things that stood out was the spring type deal in the brake caliper that is over the pads,the one on my 01 was brand new last winter and when I went over the sled this past fall it was showing alot of rust on it.The one on my 98 had never showed anywhere near the amount of corrosion on it and it's 16 years older.So I'm wondering if putting the covers over the sleds inside the trailer is the right thing to do,if they would tend to hold in moisture and not let things dry out as quickly?Do those of you that store your sleds in trailer use covers too or just let them sit in the trailer with noting over them?

I cover mine and just open doors on weekends and keep my vent open unless I know rain is coming

I haven't used the covers since I started storing mine in enclosed trailers. My 12ft R&R clamshell stays WAY cooler with its white paint job. My 24ft Haulmark gets nice and toasty due to its black paint job. I may end up painting the black one this summer. HUGE temp swings lead to condensation......which leads to corrosion with or with out a cover.

I store inside uncovered. I have two roof vents. Alway leave open. I have a Max air vent cover on both. I also have two side wall vents. Again left open all the time. Color of trailer is black. The heat exit's out the top and cool air enters the bottom vents. No corrosion, no moisture. Always stays dry. Al

I suspect the reason to cover while inside is the same as why you would cover a sports car while stored inside. Dust. However the coveres are much differant. If the snowmobile coveres were made of the same breathable tyvek material as a car cover, then yes I would cover. But since the traditional snowmobile cover is made from a canvas heavy material, no. Al

typically mine are uncovered in the trailer but i do run a dehumidifyer in there to keep down on moisture as i live right beside a lake an can get surface rust on brake rotors in a week during the summer.

Well I live about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Bay of Fundy,salt water, and we get our share of fog and damp weather so I guess maybe I'll try to spray things down better with some anti corrosion stuff and leave the covers on the floor of the trailer for this summer and see how that works out for me.My trailer is white which is good but unfortunately I store it at my parents place because I don't have room in my yard to and I don't have the luxury of opening the front access hatch on the nice days to let the air circulate.I may look at some way to put bigger vents in the top of the clam shell because the stock ones aren't very big.

Well I live about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Bay of Fundy,salt water, and we get our share of fog and damp weather so I guess maybe I'll try to spray things down better with some anti corrosion stuff and leave the covers on the floor of the trailer for this summer and see how that works out for me.My trailer is white which is good but unfortunately I store it at my parents place because I don't have room in my yard to and I don't have the luxury of opening the front access hatch on the nice days to let the air circulate.I may look at some way to put bigger vents in the top of the clam shell because the stock ones aren't very big.

Maybe add a solar powered fan as well. HD has garden shed fans for under $40.00.

Back