here we go! electrical problem from hell

roudyroy1

well, my grips stopped working on my 2001 sxr 700 with the 300 w ignition system. the variable resistor is within spec, the ground is good. i am only getting 3 volts at 4000 rpm. now this is the weird part, if i short the power to the grips directly to the ground, i do not get the fault code "grip system short" this makes me think that its the cdi, because its not picking up the fault. :s. any ideas on how to go about diagnosing this?

Is there a dual bulb powered red head around you could "borrow" a CDI from for a minute? If your concerned about mucking up theirs on your sled you could put your CDI on their sled and if all of a sudden their warmer don't work you know what part you need to buy.

sadly, not that i know of. unless anyone would be willing to send me one once the seasons over. maybe if some one on this site has one for sale i will just buy it and try it. are there any other things that might be causing this? like a condenser?

i took the load control relay off and put it on the wood stove well i was ice fishing and they came back, guess it was frozen. im going to check the condensers after the seasons over anyways

i took the load control relay off and put it on the wood stove well i was ice fishing and they came back, guess it was frozen. im going to check the condensers after the seasons over anyways

Odd that only the warmers were affected. Usually load control its an all or nothing with accessories.

Odd that only the warmers were affected. Usually load control its an all or nothing with accessories.

very odd, my tach was acting up as well though, it went dead and came back a few time well idling in the drive way when i was testing. before i put it on the wood stove i was working the sled in deep powder and they started working for a short time, then as soon as i got moving fast across the lake again i guess it cooled the relay below freezing again and they stopped working. so i took it off and dried it out and it has been fine for the last 500 km

Last edited:

Back