Need help with tool from the pro's

super1c

Super Moderator
When measuring specs for cylinder bore and piston wear with my rebuild how good of tools do i need? I know you get what you pay for but the micrometers are anywhere from harbor freight $25 to $300 dollar pro ones. Same with the bore guage. For my purpose will the harbor freight one do or a good middle of the road one. Im not so worried about cost just want to do it right. Thanks

I think Harbor Freight only sells telescoping (my Osborn High autoshop teacher called them poppet, or was it pop-out) gauges as opposed to an actual bore gauge with a built in dial indicator.

A little more work using the poppet gauge having to use a micrometer to get the actual measurement (and a little more room for error), but you're one to take his time so I'd suggest using HF telescoping gauges and investing in a good mic.

Do ya know any machinist types around you. Or mabey a wrench head that you could rent their good ones from. I use a snap guage for checking bore.

You know i have a good machine shop just up the road. I may just run up there and see what they would charge to do the measurements for me. Might be worth it for my time and money on new tools. BUUUT i alway love buying new tools LOL!

Back