Engine question - need some help Mr. Sled, anyone

bruxt7

1998 vmax700. Finally got enough snow to do some good riding. This weekend my sled began to act up for the first time in 6500 miles. When I let off the throttle the engine stumbles badly at 4000 down to 3000 rpm. It almost sounds like its running on one cyclinder and it stumbles between 4 and 3000 rpm for a few seconds. The first time this happened I tried to get back on the gas but it acted like it was going to stall, it just made a bad bogging sound. I flipped up the choke but it made no difference. If I let the sled idle down for 5 seconds I can get back on the gas like there is nothing wrong and the sled runs fine at all rpm ranges. It just acts up when I let off the throttle and the rpms fall below 4000. Any ideas here??

Hopfully its just your TORS acting up, try bypassing it and see if you still have the problem.

If you do not know how to bypass the TORS, find the two wires that go to the carbs, unplug them and plug the two from the main harness into each other and leave the ones on the carb hang. If your problem goes away then just need to ge the TORS fixed, may just need thawed out. Or your throttle free play may be a bit tight.

Could be cluching too, Have you ever been through the cluches, if not 6500 is quite a bit on those. your secondary may not be back shifting like it should. Your primary spring may be a bit tired too.

Tod

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Clutches are fine and new springs were just installed. I will try bypassing the tors. Are the wires accessable with removing anything?

Throttle freeplay - How do you measure the freeplay? It could be something that simple, I'm being optimistic.

You do not have to remove anything to get to the TORS wires.

If you have not had the carbs off or done anything with the throttle and oil cabels then I would not think the freeplay is the issue. But if your throttle cabel is too tight then it can make the TORS activate when applying throttle.

Are you home now to try this or at work like me......

Tod

Tod

Problem solved! Thanks for your help, it turned out to be the throttle cable freeplay was too tight. I adjusted the cable for a little play and presto, back to normal again. This is what makes this site awesome, people willing to help fellow Yamaha riders out!!

Back