Gonna Buy a Viper or SRX, help me!

dbutler1988

I've been a member on here forever, but lost my account info (used to be srx600). Got out of sleds for the 5th time last year and guess what, I want one back again haha. The near-record snowfall and 5 feet on the ground might be part of it. I've owned 4 SRXs, 1 Viper, and 2 RX-1's over the years. The new sleds are way over-priced and these old sleds still run with the pack. I have 2 to choose from:

2001 SRX
-6k miles
-C&A pro skis
-Bone stock motor
-Viper seat and gas tank
-Polished tunnel and pipe covers
-3in riser
-Private sale

This sled looks like it was well cared for. Anyone who polishes the tunnel and pipe covers cares for their sled. $2200

2002 Viper

-1.3k miles
-Blue windshield and headlight covers
-Bone stock

This sled is at a dealer, looks showroom. $2300, but maybe some wiggle room end of season.

What do you guys think?

I would go with the SRX for the HANG ON feeling when you nail the throttle.I guess it depends on where you ride and how you ride that will determine the right sled.If you like quick and fast go for the SRX for sure.

Last edited:
I'd say SRX just because I love the SRX's but for that price the Viper looks like a better deal.....unless you can get the guy with the SRX to drop the price.

+1 can't beet the triple pipe sound!
I have both and whoever I take riding gets stuck on the Vipers...the SRX is MINE!!!!

I would go with the SRX for the HANG ON feeling when you nail the throttle.I guess it depends on where you ride and how you ride that will determine the right sled.If you like quick and fast go for the SRX for sure.

Thanks guys. I called the guy back with the SRX and he wants $2500 actually.....too much. I have found 4-5 all with around 6k miles but they almost all need a track. All of them can be had for $2000, but I'd sink $500 for the track. Hard to find one around that hasn't been beat up. The viper is looking promising, but I know myself and I'd want the pipes, etc to make is line up with the SRX and that'd probably set me back another $1500.

Maybe wait a while...sled prices will be dropping with the warmer weather coming, I'm sure you could find a better deal on an SRX.

Found another possible option:

1999 SRX 700
Bone Stock
3.3k miles
Comes with enclosed tilt trailer and all riding gear (guy is moving/old)
Guy said hood was cracked when he bought it and had it repaired (Painted and new decals).
Hasn't been run in 4 years. I asked to make sure he got it running first. Called back a few hours later, cleaned carbs and airbox and said it started right up and runs well.
300 miles away and $2k for it all

thoughts?

Found another possible option:

1999 SRX 700
Bone Stock
3.3k miles
Comes with enclosed tilt trailer and all riding gear (guy is moving/old)
Guy said hood was cracked when he bought it and had it repaired (Painted and new decals).
Hasn't been run in 4 years. I asked to make sure he got it running first. Called back a few hours later, cleaned carbs and airbox and said it started right up and runs well.
300 miles away and $2k for it all

thoughts?
Pull the trigger on that puppy!!!

UPDATE!!!!

I went the the dealer for the Viper. 1300 miles. MINT! 14 year old track still looked new. Last registered in 2003 and fully serviced with a full tank of gas and free belt......$1800 out the door! They wanted it out before summer pretty bad. Runs and looks new.

I need your help once again cuz the deals are crazy and people need money I guess.....I think I'm gonna buy another.

I checked the others listed before and was disappointed, but found and looked at 2 amazing sleds:

2002 SRX. 1800 miles. Showroom condition. Owned by 72 year old man. Only has Can, all stock. Comes with factory cover too. Guy Rides an XC 800 with ER now, said the SRX suspension is too tough for him and needed the ER. Guy won't budge from $2800 and he's 500 miles away.

2006 Apex GT. Only 1200 miles and stored inside on Dolly's. 192 studs (not a fan). Showroom condition. $4k delivered 300 miles. Thinking about offering $3500 and picking it up.

I only need one more and dang this is a hard choice!

Called the guy on the Apex. Wanted $4500. Offered $3500 and he got upset. Pulled his teeth to get him to $4k, even though they are all over the place at that price, just a bit higher miles. I then asked him if he could meet me half way.....he then said "no way!....I guess this conversation is over, click!" Ouch! Kept telling him the dealer was letting one go for $3700 with 5k miles....guess he wasn't listening. His area down south has no more snow, so I'm not sure what his deal was....no one else will likely buy it. He said he had 10k into it....yeah 8 years ago.

Back