1994 VMAX 600....new belt(s) needed

Zack1978

Hi everyone,
As part of my spring/summer project to refresh my 1994 VMAX 600 DX with 1,900 miles, I want to change the drive belt. What is the best recommendation for a new belt in terms of brand/part # ?
It seems that the Yamaha belt is by far the best deal in terms of price, at $44.81 but is the current Yamaha belt a good choice/fit? The original Yamaha part number 89L-17641-00-00 has been superseded to 89L-17641-01-00. Is the "01" still a good fit? I know that on my 2000 SRX, the 8DN belt has a new superseded part #, and the fit seems to be off compared to the original.

Also it seems like after 20 years I should also change the water pump belt, any recommendations on that belt? Is the WP belt hard to change?

Any and all insight is appreciated.

Thank you,
Zack

Yamaha belts fit way better than any aftermarket belt out there. If the water pump belt looks good and is OEM, just run it. If it is loose you can split the pulley on the mag and remove shims to tighten it up.

Yamaha belts fit way better than any aftermarket belt out there. If the water pump belt looks good and is OEM, just run it. If it is loose you can split the pulley on the mag and remove shims to tighten it up.

Even the superseded Yamaha part # belt?

Zack

Back