Studs............ longer or just more of them?

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
One of the things I noticed about my 01 SRX while riding it on icy sections of trail or even just glare ice was it's tendency to spin the track a bit too easy and I'm thinking that perhaps my studs aren't long enough.What I have for a track and studs are a 1" Camo Carve and 144 1.075 Woodys Signature stainless studs down the centre.I used these studs basically because I trail ride mainly and these were the most popular ones for that use,and by that I mean size not brand.Lately while riding with a few friends I have heard from guys saying that they are going to a longer stud rather than use more of the same ones and I'm thinking that maybe that's the direction I should go.Instead of go to say 168 of the 1.075's I could use 144 of 1.175's.I know that there isn't a huge difference in length between the 2 studs but it might be enough to give me that extra grip I'm looking for.

I have noticed the newer tracks have more rubber or the rubber is higher between the clips were the track runs along the protectors.This means you can run longer studs without the same fear of hitting the exchangers as lets say the originals as long as you don't clip them of course.

Going with the woodys lenth the 075s put me around a 1/4 higher than the lugs on my preditor track ,good for trails but not a great hookup for ice.The 175s should be at 3/8s higher than the lug and yes you could go less with more.lol

Now we put a new 1in hacksaw on the 2001 and the royal snowstuds at 1.075 and I don't know if they put the wrong ones in the bag but it ended up alittle over 3/8s above the lugs and hooks up great.But I would never clip the track and will keep it tight.

One of the things I noticed about my 01 SRX while riding it on icy sections of trail or even just glare ice was it's tendency to spin the track a bit too easy and I'm thinking that perhaps my studs aren't long enough.What I have for a track and studs are a 1" Camo Carve and 144 1.075 Woodys Signature stainless studs down the centre.I used these studs basically because I trail ride mainly and these were the most popular ones for that use,and by that I mean size not brand.Lately while riding with a few friends I have heard from guys saying that they are going to a longer stud rather than use more of the same ones and I'm thinking that maybe that's the direction I should go.Instead of go to say 168 of the 1.075's I could use 144 of 1.175's.I know that there isn't a huge difference in length between the 2 studs but it might be enough to give me that extra grip I'm looking for.

I have a 1" Kimpex Agressor with 144 1.175" Gold Diggers inside and out. Slight contact with the rear HX (from hard tail landings) if I run the track on the loose side. Setting the tension to spec eliminated the contact. Unlike the original yoko, the lugs on the agressor run the full width and had to be trimmed at the windows.

Back