Still, Still riding in Minnesota

sleddineinar

VIP Member
Sorry no video, Dave wasn't with. Here are some pictures from my weekend in Ely (April 5). We rode from Ely west on the Taconite, then down the Babbit spur to Beaver river (first river once you leave the Tac) took an old logging road up to a ridge that over looks Johnson Lake (named after my great-grandpa). The logging road was unbroken and only 2 miles, but it took us almost 3 hours to break it. Then we headed up the ridge, about a 200 foot elevation rise, also unbroken. Almost to the top and my cousin's 800xc broke it's crankshaft, just inside the case. The motor still ran, but the clutch stopped spinning as soon as it tried to engage. Guess who got to pull him out? I feel bad for him, it's the second time now that he's had to have it repaired.

Attachments

• anothertree.jpg
    anothertree.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 10
  • atthetop.jpg
    atthetop.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 17
  • breaktime.jpg
    breaktime.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 12
  • brokentime.jpg
    brokentime.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 15
  • brokentrail.jpg
    brokentrail.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 10
  • stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 17
  • stuckagain.jpg
    stuckagain.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 10
  • threestooges.jpg
    threestooges.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 15
  • towtime.jpg
    towtime.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 15
  • trailcutting.jpg
    trailcutting.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

That's me in the Vikings coat. The other guys are my cousins. The one up close in the 2 selfies is my cousin Albert, he & I grow up and went to school together. The kid in the green jacket is my little cousin Karl.

Looks about like it is still up here in maine in mtns we still have like 3-4 ft of snow

Looks good!lots of snow up there! someday ill make it,might need to extend the sxr a little 1st though!lol

I see you have 2 long ropes for towing. Next time the poo breaks try tying one ski loop as tight to your bumper as you can(lift up on ski loop) this makes stopping and corners less hairy. Just keep rope so short that sled cant move but 6" or so either way. works surprisingly well.

wow, nice pics, enjoy the riding its all the way gone here, have fun!

I should have been doing that rather than sitting in the gym in Grand Rapids. Going to get one more weekend out of it or is it going to be done after this week? How'd the new buggy work for you in some real snow?

That thing is a beast. It seemed like it could have some smaller pilots in the warm weather. Even after moving the mag plug wire off the bleeder bolt, it seemed like it was getting loaded up. I doubt that I will get up north any more before the snow melts, and I'm sure it will start melting fast now, the temps for the week will be back to normal or even a little higher now.

I'm sure that it was a bit fat at 45 seeing as its jetted for about -10. I always liked that sled. That one was built when I still had Monday's off and would spend a day doing nothing but messing with them. Change this, go for a ride, pull it back in the garage, change something else, do it again, and so on. I miss days like that sometimes but don't miss working on Saturdays which is what I was doing at the time.

I'm guessing it will be pretty much done after this week/weekend. Time to put em away I suppose. Might make one mad dash for the mountains yet. Have to see how things shake out in the next couple weeks.

Back